First Sportive

1 watcher
Oct 2013
1:30pm, 9 Oct 2013
35 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Hi Fetchies...so I caught the cycling bug while out of running with an injury...then in a moment of maddness (and being baited by a 'proper' cyclist!!) I signed up for an 80 mile Sportive, 10th November.

Now I can comfortabley ride 25 miles pretty much all uphill after a full day at work and although the hills are hard work, it is fine. And I regularly run up to half marathon distance, so I would class myself as at a good level of fitness...however I have no idea how to train for this, any tips???

Thanks,
Em
Oct 2013
1:35pm, 9 Oct 2013
19,080 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
In all seriousness, just get out and ride your bike as much as possible, and try a decent long ride (ideally with company) soon - ideally this weekend - so that you have some idea about pacing and drinks and food over the longer distance/time that you are out
Which sportive is it that you are doing?
Oct 2013
1:57pm, 9 Oct 2013
36 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
South Somerset Screamer...

When you say a decent long ride... how far? Or is it more about time? In which case how long... :/
Oct 2013
2:32pm, 9 Oct 2013
19,081 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
What kind of pace are you riding your 25 milers?
Personally I'd plan to get in at least a 60 mile ride to give you some decent information on how you cope with/pace longer rides if you haven't done one of that kind of length before.
Plan it with a stop - a café stop if need be, at about 35 miles so that you don't run into issues with fluid and/or food, and make it a decent day out.
Oct 2013
3:17pm, 9 Oct 2013
3,741 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
If the sportive goes up the Gorge, practice riding up there after a decent ride out of say 20-30 miles and you can ride back down the gorge and have food and drink at the bottom before riding back to where you started/home/wherever.
Oct 2013
3:28pm, 9 Oct 2013
19,082 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
That's a good plan!
If I've read the route correctly, the gorge is around half distance with the feed stop just before it

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by BarefootEm
Hi Fetchies...so I caught the cycling bug while out of running with an injury...then in a moment of ...