First finisher at Cambridge HM is not the winner

24 watchers
Mar 2018
2:44pm, 6 Mar 2018
12 posts
  •  
Smugbloke
He sounds a bit of a d*ck to me.
He should be banned min 12 months. That's what they've done in my neck of the woods. (Incidentally another Cambridgeshire club swap-out)
It's the organisers who get it in the neck regarding insurance and so forth.

They should have docked the 2nd place as winner also as same club (C&C AC).

There - that's the counter opinion of someone who has to organise races and to try and overcome all the things that idiots will do to undermine your event.
Mar 2018
2:48pm, 6 Mar 2018
7,638 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
There'd be a few hundred DQs if you went for everyone from C&C. Plus a large proportion of race volunteers :-)
Mar 2018
2:48pm, 6 Mar 2018
23,520 posts
  •  
HellsBells
The UKA rules are clear as are the penalties for breaking those rules.
You may not agree with them but you still have to stick to them or face the penalties.
If the rules said you had to run carrying a cuddly elephant, then that is what you would have to do.
The rules were broken. There will be penalties. The end.
Mar 2018
2:55pm, 6 Mar 2018
23,521 posts
  •  
HellsBells
actually not sure if it's UKA rules or event rules - either way they were clearly stated on the event website, along with the statement that transfers would not be accepted after Jan 21st
Mar 2018
3:03pm, 6 Mar 2018
15,633 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Maybe he should be allowed entry to next year's Cambridge HM as long as he runs carrying a large pink cuddly elephant? Like this one cdn2.bigcommerce.com
Mar 2018
3:08pm, 6 Mar 2018
12,325 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Some events like the Boston marathon require you reach a certain standard to gain entry. It has shown that in order to qualify a few runners give their bib number to a faster runner to get the required time. This a form of number swapping and it is cheating and means some who haven’t cheated and won their place by themselves don’t get a place.

A man running with a woman’s number really annoys me.
Mar 2018
3:30pm, 6 Mar 2018
29,059 posts
  •  
Old Croc
just had a look at the UKA rule book - it quite clear - Rule 143 S

"(iii) Numbers are issued to the individual athlete completing the application
form except with the specific authority of the Competition Provider.
Athletes who receive transferred numbers without permission will be
disqualified from the race. Both runners will be subject to disciplinary
action by the appropriate National Association"
Mar 2018
3:35pm, 6 Mar 2018
12 posts
  •  
Harvey Speed
@Dvorak - You're misinterpreting my words.

I agree with Jack's DQ. I agree with any DQ for somebody who competes under the wrong name. I'm not advocating rule breaking, but is this really a matter for the national news!? No, it's been blown out of proportion.

My other point was, it happens all the time, whether deliberate (in Jack's case) or accidental (which is often the case in the track and field leagues as I was alluding to). The punishment should be DQ, not a ban. That's my firm opinion.
Mar 2018
3:41pm, 6 Mar 2018
23,522 posts
  •  
HellsBells
The punishment should be whatever is laid down in the rules and if that is a ban, then a ban it should be
We all agree to abide by these rules when we join uka or tick a box on a race form agreeing to T's and C's.
Saying you think the punishment should be anything other than what is stated in the rules is pointless
Mar 2018
3:44pm, 6 Mar 2018
13 posts
  •  
Harvey Speed
The rules state the punishment should be "disciplinary action by the appropriate National Association". So having an opinion on what that disciplinary action is is perfectly acceptable.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dvorak
Why, you may ask? Well, it seems he ran the course fair and square, in 1:06:52. A more than decent...