First (and only tri) training help

0 watcher
Aug 2011
7:29pm, 12 Aug 2011
1,491 posts
  •  
Alex Bampton
Afternoon lovely fetch people,

Okay so on a bit of a "spur of the moment" kind of thing I have decided I would like to do a triathlon and would like to aim for a simple Sprint one in Highworth on September the 18th. I would have preferred a little bit more time but I have other priorities in the Winter that need to be put ahead of this.

Basically I have had my track athletic season cut short due to injury and I am now nearly at peak fitness but races are few and far between so to maintain competitive spirit I would like to go in balls deep and go for a tri!

However I would like to race it well as I don't like to do things half-hearted so would appreciate any guidance on the sport. I can hopefully get hold of a tri-suit so forgetting that for the time being...what kind of training do I need to be doing? I do a lot of running and that's no problem I am a fairly decent cyclist / swimmer but have no idea how much of each I should be doing and in what quantities to prepare for the event. Is there one that requires more effort / time or any reccomended sessions and any other advice in general would be great!

And if you have an idea of "what's quick" for an overall time that would be quite helpful as well to figure out some targets.
Aug 2011
7:31pm, 12 Aug 2011
1,492 posts
  •  
Alex Bampton
I aim to do a local 10 mile TT on the bike in "sort of" preperation towards the end of this month as well so any tips on that would be helpful too
Aug 2011
8:22pm, 12 Aug 2011
1,048 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Hi Alex, welcome to the 2011 first tri club. You may find some useful help on this thread: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=18301 It's different depending on what your strenghts are, but as the bike is the largest proportion of the event that could be a good area to focus on. The big boys and girls on the 220 thread seem to do a lot of serious biking.

You might also get a bit of help from this tri preparation plan inspirefitness.co.uk - it's based on a pool based sprint tri (400m swim) and is a 12 week plan. But you sound like you're pretty active, so I'm sure you could adapt it.

Good luck with your training and tri.
Aug 2011
8:33pm, 12 Aug 2011
9,746 posts
  •  
halfpint
I have no useful advice as I have only done 2 novice tri's. Sounds like you have a good base level of fitness. Brick sessions would probably be useful to familiarise yourself with that sluggish/heavy legged feeling getting off the bike. Scribbler - I will be checking out that link :)
Aug 2011
12:05pm, 13 Aug 2011
1,494 posts
  •  
Alex Bampton
Thank you very much for the info Scribbler, hopefully I have the base fitness to be able to train to a fair standard in only 5 weeks but will certainly put some miles on the bike as that is the general consensus, I will turn into a short-term lerker on that beginner thread too cheers!

Thanks Halfpint I agree jelly legs running is what it's all about ;-)
Aug 2011
6:17pm, 13 Aug 2011
1,051 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I train with Inspire Fitness so that plan is very similar to the one I used for my first sprint tri. I like it because it includes rest and cross training and specifically weights to help you develop muscle fitness and hopefully prevent injuries. But it's very adaptable if you don't have time for 2 weights sessions a week. I was more likely to do one more intensive session and another cross training, but I like to think I've built up a good basic level of strength through consistent training over the last 2 and a half years.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pizza Boy
Afternoon lovely fetch people,

Okay so on a bit of a "spur of the moment" kind of thing I have ...