First Aid Kit

6 watchers
Oct 2021
11:03pm, 11 Oct 2021
4,236 posts
  •  
Kieren
I thought a thread might be useful to have a thread for any tips / lists for first aid kits for runners - either the type you have at home, take with you on holiday, or carry on the run as part of a minimum kit.

^ this is a small kit I got in a trail running bundle from Harrier. It's decent but I need to build up a few extras for the holiday runs.

What are your thoughts? Post a picture maybe?

2 years ago, I was on a small island in Indonesia and took a fall and scraped my knee. It got infected and the humidity made it difficult to keep a cover on. The wound didn't really warrant spending the effort of going to hospital / travel insurance. There were lots of pharmacy’s but they only had small plasters and shocking no bandages. I was thankfully able to pick up some iodine cream to treat the wound. The less on from that is I need some bandages, something like iodine (not sold in UK), and some tweezers
Oct 2021
11:17pm, 11 Oct 2021
4,237 posts
  •  
Kieren
I forgot to list what is in the mini kit:

4 x Adhesive plasters (different sizes)
4 x Blister plasters for feet
2 x Cleansing wipes
1 x Small adhesive tape
1 x Sterile dressing / gauze pad
1 x triangle bandage
6 x Safety Pins
1 x Elasticated Cohesive Bandage (6cm x 4m)
Oct 2021
11:22am, 12 Oct 2021
2,210 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I carry a couple of sterile needles for emergency blister drainage.
Oct 2021
11:23am, 12 Oct 2021
14,055 posts
  •  
mulbs
I always take antihistamines with me too, thankfully never had to use the triangle bandage!
Oct 2021
12:07pm, 12 Oct 2021
2,497 posts
  •  
Fitz
I only ever carry a FAK for marathons, comprising two sizes of Compeeds, a couple of plasters and ibuprofen capsules.
Oct 2021
12:41pm, 12 Oct 2021
15,715 posts
  •  
larkim
I usually carry a foil blanket "just in case". The one thing worse than being injured at the side of a road is being wet / cold injured at the side of the road.

If they're unused, they pack small and flat so don't take up much space.
Oct 2021
1:16pm, 12 Oct 2021
12,562 posts
  •  
Little Nemo
I thought this was going to be about the band! :-)
Oct 2021
1:33pm, 12 Oct 2021
9 posts
  •  
paulcook
Depends what I'm running for, what current fitness levels are, but things I've also carried include:

blister / compeed stick
paracetamol
ibuprofen gel / muscle deep relief gel
Oct 2021
1:36pm, 12 Oct 2021
10 posts
  •  
paulcook
I only ever carry a FAK for marathons, comprising two sizes of Compeeds, a couple of plasters and ibuprofen capsules.

Careful about the use of NSAIDs during a marathon. They're not particularly recommended.
Oct 2021
2:55pm, 12 Oct 2021
3,434 posts
  •  
Snoot
Permanently have a first aid kit in my bum bag and another in my back pack, unless I’m on a short local run I’ll normally take one of these.

Contents:
Gauze / Dressing pads / plasters / blister dressings / steri strips / wipes / cohesive bandage / tape

Also:
Paracetamol / antihistamine / tic removal tool / £20 (might be useful and as it’s now waterproof won’t get damaged) / laminated parkrun barcode for ICE details

All fits in the little Lifesystems nano pouch and as this is a bit transparent anyone ratching through my bag will see the barcode & ICE details.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I thought a thread might be useful to have a thread for any tips / lists for first aid kits for runners - either the type you have at home, take with you on holiday, or carry on the run as part of a minimum kit.

^ this is a small kit I got in a trail running bundle from Harrier. It's decent but I need to build up a few extras for the holiday runs.

What are your thoughts? Post a picture maybe?

2 years ago, I was on a small island in Indonesia and took a fall and...