First Aid Kit

1 watcher
Jul 2015
11:59am, 1 Jul 2015
16,587 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Now then!

This summer's road-trip-cum-holiday with the family is to Austria. It's a legal requirement to carry a First-Aid kit in the car there. They don't specify what this kit must contain, but by all accounts if you're on the scene of an emergency, it's necessary to be able to hand it over to the medics if required.

The only specification is that it must be in a dirt-proof enclosure.

Trying to kill two birds with one stone, I have an old first aid kit in a fabric pouch which is no longer fit for purpose which I bought because it was mandatory kit once on an LDWA event I did.

I'm sure there are folk here that take part in events where first aid kit is mandatory. Does anyone have any suggestions, preferably of something that will fulfill my legal obligations as a motorist in Austria, but which I can also pop into my rucksack for a day's walking in the mountains? So lightweight, but containing whatever First Aid kits need.

If it's available on the eBay, so much the better.

Any ideas?
Jul 2015
12:04pm, 1 Jul 2015
1,404 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I would buy the bits at the chemist and put them in a sandwich box.
Jul 2015
12:20pm, 1 Jul 2015
16,588 posts
  •  
DeeGee
But what bits? Not having a list of mandatory contents and all that...
Jul 2015
12:21pm, 1 Jul 2015
16,589 posts
  •  
DeeGee
When my dad took us to Austria when I was a kid he chucked a handful of plasters and a packet of Aspirin in a Tupperware box upon which he stuck a Post-It note upon which he had crudely scrawled a cross.
Jul 2015
12:31pm, 1 Jul 2015
303 posts
  •  
notpete
racshop.co.uk ?
Jul 2015
12:32pm, 1 Jul 2015
1,405 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Was your dad a fell runner?

I've collected a mixed bag of first aid bits based entirely on what was mandatory at various races, I'm not a medic or even a first aider, so probably shouldn't offer advice! It currently contains sterile dressings of many sizes, tape, some lint type stuff, sterile wipes, and a sling type bandage. It could do with a pair of scissors. But this is designed to deliver first aid on a run, not following a car crash.
Jul 2015
12:38pm, 1 Jul 2015
19,452 posts
  •  
HellsBells
It shouldn't contain anything you don't know what to do with
Plasters, triangular bandage, antiseptic wipes should be adequate
I'd expect the medics to be carrying their own stuff not begging off passing motorists
Jul 2015
6:16pm, 1 Jul 2015
2,132 posts
  •  
Molesy
Found it! :-)

axevalleyrunners.org.uk which defines a first aid kit as "One slightly-used elastoplast."
Jul 2015
10:26pm, 1 Jul 2015
4,807 posts
  •  
CStar
:-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Now then!

This summer's road-trip-cum-holiday with the family is to Austria. It's a legal requi...