Fetchnames - explain yours! :-)

102 watchers
Nov 2020
10:20am, 25 Nov 2020
36,596 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Having a slightly more unusual name (Gavin) I have the other problem which is that I always assume I'm the only Gavin in the room. It always totally throws me when there is another Gavin in a group, club, meeting etc!

Being one of many Johns or Ians or Annes etc. might almost be easier / better!

(I'm also someone whose name has suffered from globalisation / American influence. In USA it seems to have certain connotations!) :-) G
Nov 2020
10:54am, 25 Nov 2020
12,746 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
When we were much younger, my sister had a (female) friend called Jamie and so refused to call me by my name - and so decreed that I would henceforth be known as Bob, Bobbles for short. Fortunately it didn't stick ;)

:)G - my housemate is a Gavin, and he believes it to be the "worst name in the world, apart from Keith". I don't agree with him, I hasten to add!
Nov 2020
11:08am, 25 Nov 2020
36,597 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol! Well, I haven't heard anyone calling it the worst name in the world! I think for Celts (Welsh, Scots, don't know about Irish and Bretons!) it's not so bad as it's more common and better "understood" (Gawain - pale hawk) but in USA and possibly England (?) it sounds a bit effete?

I think Jamie is a brill name. Are you a James, with Jamie as a diminutive or is Jamie your given name? My grandson is James and I've started calling him Jamesy, as my daughter in law didn't want him to become a Jim or Jimmy. But Jamie is great too.
Nov 2020
11:17am, 25 Nov 2020
4,226 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I'm a Nigel - named at the height of its popularity in the 60s - now there's only 2 or 3 Nigels named a year. It was never a name with the most positive of associations, and of course now it is forever tarnished by association with Farage :(
Nov 2020
11:19am, 25 Nov 2020
36,599 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm showing my age TR, but Nigel is an aspirational connotation "Making Plans for Nigel..." etc. (XTC or XRay Specs or something back in 70s>?) DIdn't even think of the Farriddge.

One of my most successful and convivial pals is a Nigel. :-) G
Nov 2020
11:20am, 25 Nov 2020
4,227 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Thanks HappyG :)
Nov 2020
11:21am, 25 Nov 2020
12,493 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Ah-ha I must have done that at some point (maybe I need a new name referring to my loss of memory 😂) updated now.
Nov 2020
11:23am, 25 Nov 2020
20,622 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I always think of successful racing driver Nigel Mansell. And my mate that always looked out for us at cadets, Big Nige
Nov 2020
11:26am, 25 Nov 2020
36,601 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol gg - the list was originally created by um from all the thread posts. But then a number of people have gone in and amended or added theirs. Which is the whole intention...!
Nov 2020
11:27am, 25 Nov 2020
12,494 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Phew!! Thanks um (I don’t feel as bad now)

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi Fetchies

Come here and tell me about your Fetchname:
- how did you come up with it?
- how do you pronounce it? (prompted by pedroscalls - is it Pedro-Scalls or Pedros-Calls?

There're are a few that um and I've summarised from answers in the thread in a lovely Wiki article here:

Here is the list to read AND ADD YOUR NAME !!

fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=550

Feel free to add your own name here and also in the article, in the style above.

Remember, everyone can edit a Wiki, just follow the link!

Cheers! :-) G