Fetchie Murph Workout Challenge

14 watchers
Oct 2020
9:28am, 3 Oct 2020
37,240 posts
  •  
Nellers
For a while I've been vaguely heading towards doing the CrossFit Murph workout as a challenge. It's been a bit open in terms of when I'll do it. I blogged about it a while ago when I had a go and blew it.

So for those who've not heard of it the full Murph workout is:
1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 press ups
300 squats
1 mile run

In "proper" competition that would all be done wearing a weighted vest (20lbs for men/14lbs for women) and you have to complete all the pull ups before moving on to the press ups etc.

Now out here in the real world CrossFit workouts can be "Scaled" to make them easier. My "scaling" on this is to forget the weighted vest and to break the reps down into chunks (5/10/15 reps X 20).

It's totally acceptable to scale the exercises themselves too, though, so if full press ups aren't in your wheelhouse then doing wall press ups or knees instead of feet is fine. If you can't run then cycling or rowing perhaps? You get the idea but keeping in the spirit of the challenge.

You can even reduce the reps and running distance. A Half-Murph is still a challenge!

So, with a bit of encouragement (goading?) from Early Bird and TBR I've decided that my vague aims need to become a firm plan with a deadline.

29th October is now "officially" Fetchie Murph Challenge Day. That's the day I'm going to do my full (scaled and partitioned) Murph.

So the question is "Who is with me?" There's no medal, no prize, I'm not worried about how long it takes anyone or whether you're faster or stronger than me. I'd just like to feel like I'm not in it on my own.

Let me know if you're going to join me in giving this a go, and let's share our journey as we build up to 29/10 and the big challenge.

Go on. You know you want to. It'll be fun*

*"fun" may be a miss-spelling of painful ;-)
Oct 2020
10:03am, 3 Oct 2020
18,016 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Watching with interest :)

Good luck
(no chance of me doing one pull-up let alone 100!)
Oct 2020
10:25am, 3 Oct 2020
37,242 posts
  •  
Nellers
How about doing hanging rows then Rosehip? rings or a bar, heels on the floor, body and legs straight and pull the torso up to the bar like a rowing motion. Easier than full pull ups but similar movement.

Go on go on go on go on.
Oct 2020
10:49am, 3 Oct 2020
18,017 posts
  •  
Rosehip
hmmm - about a yr ago I bought a TRX system that was in a sale. It's only been out of it's box once as the door I wanted to use it with opened the wrong way. That would work if I can find room to use it
Oct 2020
10:54am, 3 Oct 2020
19,808 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
you're allowed a month or two to complete that, I assume. As an ordinary human being. I'm with Rosehip's first comment: no chance of me doing one pull-up let alone 100!
um
Oct 2020
11:08am, 3 Oct 2020
3,437 posts
  •  
um
I could just about do 10 pull ups when a teenager. Not seen one since.
Why only 1 mile run when the rest are so tough?
Oct 2020
11:10am, 3 Oct 2020
19,809 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
maybe it's for rowers who can do the three middle things but can't imagine running.
Oct 2020
11:13am, 3 Oct 2020
37,243 posts
  •  
Nellers
Seriously, I’m, try knocking out 300 squats and see how well you can run. A mile is plenty!
Oct 2020
11:14am, 3 Oct 2020
37,244 posts
  •  
Nellers
Um, not I’m. Bloody autocorrect!
Oct 2020
11:15am, 3 Oct 2020
1,282 posts
  •  
Homeless Kodo
Crossfit use kipping pull ups for these kind of sessions, not standard, straight arm hang at the bottom chin over the bar at the top type of pull ups. With kipping pull ups there’s significant involvement of the lower body, so once you’ve mastered them it’s aerobic capacity, not strength, that’s the limiting factor.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
31-31 January 2021 we're going to do a Half Murph (800m run, 50 pull ups, 100 press ups, 150 squats, 800m run).

Nellers
TBR (TheBeardRunner)
chunkywizard

Who else wants to join us?

A Full Murph is:

1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 press ups
300 squats
1 mile run*

*scale as you need to

49:15 to beat. Who's with me?