•  
LazyDaisy
Weighed for the first time in 10 days. 9st 4 :-(
May 2022
4:43pm, 10 May 2022
17,964 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Saw friend she looks very happy & at peace with her decision she’s not telling many people how she’s lost weight sticking with she’s doing an extreme diet until she gets weight off…

Can’t say I agree with such a drastic option when I know she has never tried to lose weight despite what she’s told doctors but if it makes her happy with her body & she’s healthy that is all that matters.
May 2022
12:06pm, 11 May 2022
2,846 posts
  •  
Reiver
I'm racing my bike against random strangers on Zwift, and although my power output measures high, I can't compete as my power to weight ratio is lower than others, so that is good motivation. Down half a stone since post Xmas high.
May 2022
7:15pm, 12 May 2022
14,410 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Hello again all, how are we all doing?

Have been very hungry the last couple of days a d really wanting/needing something sweet.ha e just had a pudding, left me over cals for the dsy bit nothing major.

Really hoping to be over this sweet craving now and back to being focused and on track.
May 2022
7:15pm, 12 May 2022
14,411 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Reiver, well done on the weight loss, sorry I do zwift but am not technical about it so can't help
May 2022
7:25pm, 12 May 2022
22,708 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I’m back to eating everything and too much of it. Not continuously, so I’ve not slipped all the way back down the hole, but I’m teetering around the edge. Meals tend to be healthy, but I’m snacking unhealthily again 🤦‍♀️
May 2022
7:58am, 27 May 2022
26,754 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
I shall weigh in today.
May 2022
8:21am, 27 May 2022
14,495 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Another lb off here so that's 5 of the 7 I wanted to shift with just over another week to go till Europe.

Shame there is still another 2 stone to go .....
May 2022
9:56am, 27 May 2022
18,060 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Morning all.

I’m reading a book Atomic Habits recommended at the yoga retreat last month. The bit I’m on with is about behaviour change is identity change.

Habits are 3 parts

Outcomes - what you want to achieve
Processes - how to do it
Identity what you believe

By focusing on what you what to achieve (to lose weight in our cases) we go on a diet (the process) but we don’t address the identity of wanting to be slimmer/healthier so we can easily be waylaid off the plan.

We need to identify differently (although he doesn’t say what identity change we need)

He gives an example of 2 people trying to quit smoking and are offered a ciggy

First says no thanks I’m trying to quit
Second says no thanks I don’t smoke

The 2nd is an identity shift they are identifying as a non smoker.

I suppose with losing weight it’s not a one size fits all. For me I know I spend too many calories on wine/beer so I probably need to identify as someone who doesn’t drink on a school night, or switches to a spirits drinker.

Whereas if someone ate a lot of takeaways they may need to change identity to someone who cooks their favourite meals at home instead (while I didn’t ever eat a lot of takeaways I did have them more often than now or would go out for an Indian / Chinese meal but I switched to making fakeaways a lot of years ago and find now I’d rather have that than a takeaway so maybe that was an unconscious identity change)

It started talking about the British Cycling Team who were always bottom of the rankings until a new coach came in. He changed just 1% of their strategy but across hundreds of areas - the next season Bradders won Tour de France.

So upshot if the book is tiny changes. As I’m only at chapter 2 I am on with identity. Last night we got to the boat and had a couple of beers. Andrew finished his 1st I shared what I had then we had another I had quite a bit left so again shared it with him. Normally that would have led to another or a G&T. So my goal this week while on holiday to take a step back on 1 drink.

And I’ll look at other areas I can shave that 1% on too.

I haven’t been running for over 2 weeks with a chest infection so made a concerted effort to watch what I’ve been eating and I lost 2.5lb I don’t weigh until end of the month so it’s a week early but I’m going to try to continue to be less of a I’m on holiday I can eat chocolate every day kind of person (we have chocolate every Saturday & Sunday with a morning cuppa, on holiday that means every day)

Chin chin fff’ers onwards and downwards.
May 2022
1:03pm, 27 May 2022
35,887 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I understand that 'identity' thing. For decades I've seen myself as a moderately overweight woman, never having regained the weight I was before my first pregnancy. So although I got close to it last summer, I don't really see myself as that slimmer person with no wobbly tummy. That's meant that I've resumed my usual persona of 'wobbly tummy.' It was only when I got to 'properly fat' that I committed to doing something about it.

Perhaps I needed to have taken lots of photos of myself last summer and stuck them in my eyeline everywhere to reinforce my self image.
So the answer is, get back to that shape and train myself to see that as my proper size.

Meanwhile, when I weighed this morning, I was just glad to have stayed the same :-/

About This Thread

Maintained by Mandymoo
Here we go another year, another start to the weight loss thread.

Let's give it our all this year and conquer our eating demons.

It's all about small changes, which lead to big changes.

LETS DO IT 🙌

Heres the link for the spreadsheet
docs.google.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.