•  
swittle
Steve Logan and Jackie Pallo were noted bad boys
Sep 2019
12:38pm, 4 Sep 2019
33,036 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Thank you Nick it might have been. I need a time machine to go back in and watch yes I know its called YouTube
Sep 2019
1:02pm, 4 Sep 2019
9,463 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I was at funeral last month and pall-bearers were mentioned. I thought how funny it would be for a person to be called Paul Bearer. Googled it and... How could have I forgotten?!

static01.nyt.com

Thing is I don't think my teenage self even new that was a joke name :-)

https://youtu.be/dTxmjud_IwM?t=11
Sep 2019
1:03pm, 4 Sep 2019
9,464 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Boo

https://youtu.be/dTxmjud_IwM?t=11
Sep 2019
1:03pm, 4 Sep 2019
9,465 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Boo again. I give up.
Sep 2019
1:37pm, 4 Sep 2019
34,699 posts
  •  
Nellers
It’s pleasing to me that so many people here associate wrestling with having fun and being entertained. That’s exactly what drew me in. It’s a few hours of complete escapism. It’s not the real world. Often it’s only partially pretending to be, and with a very knowing wink at the crowd.
Sep 2019
4:29pm, 4 Sep 2019
3,151 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I remember first watching wrestling on World of Sport but only restarted when the WWF was on Sky Sports. After another hiatus, I started watching Impact Wrestling on Bravo but quit that when anyone of note defected to WWE. Impact isn't worth watching anymore as it resembles wannabes grappling at a local community centre. So, at present, wrestling isn't something I switch on my TV for.
Sep 2019
5:20pm, 4 Sep 2019
34,700 posts
  •  
Nellers
SP, you might want to have another look at impact. The standard of production isn’t up to WWE standards but the wrestling is pretty good these days (and wwe is, in my view, not what it used to be most of the time).
Sep 2019
6:35pm, 4 Sep 2019
56,682 posts
  •  
swittle
It's interesting to compare professional wrestling with that practised, say, in the Olympic Games. [Graeco-Roman style?]. The latter seems to rely a good deal on positioning and strength, and tactics based on, e.g., balance. It can be subtle, and then explosive in a matter of seconds.
The athleticism and strength of those in the professional sport are put to different purposes: at times, one can see moves from gymnastics alongside the high impact ones.
Sep 2019
6:44pm, 4 Sep 2019
34,701 posts
  •  
Nellers
There is quite a lot of crossover but competitive and professional wrestling are very different beasts. The gymnastic elements of pro wrestling are there to add entertainment value. In a real fight it wouldn’t work to your advantage to dive at your opponent in a way that took you both out but in pro wrestling that’s relatively commonplace because it looks so spectacular.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
So after finding that my unpopular opinion that Wrestling is great wasn't actually that unpopul...