Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Fetch Virtual Sunday

11 watchers
26 May
12:40pm, 26 May 2020
6385 posts
Sigh
Yay, thanks fetch!
26 May
12:43pm, 26 May 2020
11572 posts
Ness
Excellent! Thanks.
27 May
2:39pm, 27 May 2020
1033 posts
The great dollop
on the subject of virtual races, I was looking at GPS manipulation so multiple GPS tracks can be submitted into a Race.
The GPS is auto trimmed to the race length from the start, the pace and total distance over time calculated, and then that overlaid onto the "virtual" race route with the virtual race start time (ie 9am sunday)
(I managed to do this as a spreadsheet process, it's essentially just a bit of lat-long maths to get distance and time and interpolate the times they would have arrived onto the virtual GPS course waypoints.)
This is done for all the entrants, and then all the GPS tracks are at the same time from the same place - ie the same virtual race !

A virtual race can then be run, apparently with everyone on the same route from the replay perspective, just like the orange flyby.
Because everyone has different hills and paces due to them - the overtaking and changing of positions during the flyby makes it all the more interesting to watch (even at 60x speed).
So - say everyone has to upload their GPS by 2pm on the day (has to have taken place on that day too!), the virtual race could take place / revealed at 4pm in time for tea and kayke !

narrator: "and now we go live over to our tame programmer...."
27 May
2:41pm, 27 May 2020
49117 posts
Diogenes
But have you worked out a way to photograph said events?
27 May
2:49pm, 27 May 2020
1034 posts
The great dollop
you may laugh but there is a professional F1 race photographer doing screenshots of virtual F1 races and polishing them up for the F1 racing teams... madness I tell you !

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Some virtual races for this weekend. You know, just for fun.

Links to this week's races here:
fetcheveryone.com/race-virtualweekend.php

(I didn't make a 5k, as I didn't want to step on the toes of the Fake parkrun, which has a nice following already).

Feel free to sign up. There are no prizes, just something to aim for. If you want to join in, add one to your portfolio, then fill in your time when you're done. If you're chasing Fetch Standards, it's an option :-)