Track & Field Fetchies

55 watchers
J2R
Sep 2020
5:36pm, 22 Sep 2020
3,030 posts
  •  
J2R
I've never run a 10000m on track, but 5000m on the track was mind-numbing enough for me! Can't imagine running 25 laps and retaining the will to live.
SPR
Sep 2020
5:39pm, 22 Sep 2020
31,617 posts
  •  
SPR
I've never understood that mindset TBH.

When I'm racing all I think about is racing. Do people spend races thinking about the fields and how lovely the sky looks, etc?
SPR
Sep 2020
5:42pm, 22 Sep 2020
31,618 posts
  •  
SPR
5000 indoors just seems a bit much on a banked track feels like an injury waiting to happen if done a lot.
J2R
Sep 2020
5:53pm, 22 Sep 2020
3,031 posts
  •  
J2R
No, SPR, but distractions help take the mind off the pain. I have to say I'd be a bit anxious, too, about knowing quite where I'm up to with 25 laps - I'd lose count. I know they have a board near the finish saying how many laps there are to go, but this is presumably only valid for the race leaders. If you're lapped, as is entirely possible in a 25 lap race, it's no longer the correct number.
SPR
Sep 2020
5:57pm, 22 Sep 2020
31,619 posts
  •  
SPR
Maybe this an associate/ disassociate thing and why some people have to run with music.

I associate totally. Basically I emerse myself in the activity anything that distracts me will make me slower. I couldn't race with earphones.

The lap counter should still give you a count somehow even if you're not on the lead lap.
J2R
Sep 2020
6:11pm, 22 Sep 2020
3,032 posts
  •  
J2R
Actually, I'm with you on the associate/dissociate, when I'm out running in the wild. I never run with earphones - I prefer to be very much in the moment, aware of my surroundings, feeling the ground under my feet, listening to the birds and the wind in the trees. I think I would find that a lot less appealing on long track races, though.
Sep 2020
7:57pm, 22 Sep 2020
1,690 posts
  •  
Will_Uyuni
I did a track 10000 once and it was absolute purgatory. Broke 38 though so well worth it!

Only 3 of us, one slightly faster than me who I managed to hang onto until halfway, and a V70 who we lapped every 5 minutes. Very odd!
Sep 2020
8:45pm, 22 Sep 2020
12,059 posts
  •  
larkim
As a rarity I reckon I could cope with getting fully absorbed into a track 10000m, but I think the novelty would wear off after a couple of events. I've run 2 track 5000m and had enough to think about for both of those (one was the day after a 33m ultra where I could barely walk to the track, the other I had a good smack down with a runner I race reasonably frequently who miss counted the laps and sprinted a lap too soon!)
SPR
Sep 2020
9:19pm, 22 Sep 2020
31,620 posts
  •  
SPR
If disassociate/ associate is a spectrum I'm very near the end of the associate side. When racing, all I'm thinking about is that, keeping form, maintaining rhythm, staying relaxed, etc. Potentially racing others if that helps, but not always. Track is perfect for zoning in, speed feedback every 400m. It is flat so for the 5000m/ 10000m you can be right on the edge for awhile if you get it right and no hills are going to come and upset the cart. Not saying I want the edge challenge all the time but I enjoy it when I do. That's why you target races though. No one wants to do 10000m or 5000m on track week in week out.

My tactic for pain isn't distraction but to accept it's simply part of running fast and I've trained and can cope. I used to try and make it less with relaxation etc. But now I think feel the pain but relax anyway. There's a quote in Steve Magness book about calm conversation which I used quite a lot till it kind of became second nature. Doesn't stop things like lactic just shutting down your legs at the end of a hard race but hopefully means you get the best out of yourself.

I discovered I couldn't run hard with music, before running was actually a thing I wanted to do. I did sport relief 2008 3 miles. Was only doing one run a week, and playing basketball and going gym two or three times a week at that point. AFAIK then running was done with music. Was fine when I was running easy, didn't need the mental focus but as soon as I tried to test myself and see how fast I could run, music was an annoyance and I remember ripping my earphones out of my ears half way round one run. Didn't know about associate/ disassociate at that point, just knew the harder the running got the more the music was an annoyance and distraction.
SPR
Sep 2020
9:37pm, 22 Sep 2020
31,621 posts
  •  
SPR
Just done my first BRAT MD group track session.

4 x 600 with 5 mins (jog 600) recovery. Splits 1:40, 1:39, 1:38, 1:41. Legs kind of shut down and form started to go a bit on the last 600 and there was absolutely nothing I could do about. I enjoyed the challenge of the session. In terms of how it broke up, there was two faster guys and then me and another guy. We swapped the lead for each rep, on the last one I was leading but he passed at 500 which is when my legs stopped working like I wanted them to. Might surprise y'all but my current weakness at 1500 anyway is speed so these sessions are exactly what I need.

After 3 x 150 in 21.4, 21.4, 20.9

Was fun but my legs my abandon me tomorrow, lol.

About This Thread

Maintained by SPR
AKA the amateur athletics thread. For discussing our T&F exploits including indoors for those that do it.

Season events you're planning on doing can be added in the here (eg 1500, 3000SC, LJ, JT), if you have a goals for those events these can be added in brackets next to the event. *=previous season. If you prioritise a specific event then the list will be in order of your most important. Let me know if you want to be added.

anthonyj89* - 10000 (29:59), 5000 (14:29)
CC2 Speedy Goth* - 10000, masters league
Gobi* -
J2R* -
Larkim* - 3000 (Sub 11:00)
Maclennane* - JT (33m), DT (25m)
markgall - 1500 (PB), 5000 (sub 17:00) ✅
Roberto* - 3000SC (sub 10:30), 400H (66.xx)
Sharkie* - 100 (inc relay), 200, LJ, HJ, JT, DT, SP
SPR - 800, 1500, 5000

Let me know if there's any information that would be useful to add to links or here for those looking for events, etc.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.