Fetch Secret Santa 2021 - who’s coming to the Fetch North Pole?

34 watchers
Jan 2022
11:04am, 13 Jan 2022
16,485 posts
  •  
Garfield
PLB - I've seen my share of Chinese food too as my dad was half Cantonese and his relatives owned a number of Chinese restaurants over the years.
Jan 2022
11:11am, 13 Jan 2022
2,099 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Garfield - That’s fab. I love Chinese food, definitely not the take-away stuff though. I always do a banquet for the family for Chinese New Year. My two children love it. They particularly like the Chinese pork sausage lap cheong.
Jan 2022
12:15pm, 13 Jan 2022
16,486 posts
  •  
Garfield
No, the takeaway stuff is different to cater for Western tastes. I used to make egg rolls, wonton and baos when helping out at the restaurant and my mother used to make baos at home, and froze them for later. I remember the pork sausage well from childhood.
Jan 2022
1:17pm, 13 Jan 2022
2,101 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
I love wonton and baos. I used to go into China Town with my Dad when I was little to the Chinese bakery to buy freshly made pastries like dan ta.
Jan 2022
1:27pm, 13 Jan 2022
16,487 posts
  •  
Garfield
Dad's aunts used to make strange deep fried things that I don't know the names of. Googling that then images gives me something like sesame seed balls.
Jan 2022
4:14pm, 13 Jan 2022
2,102 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
There is also Sui gok. A deep fried dim sum dumpling.

Apologies guys for hijacking the FSS chat regarding Chinese food 😂
Jan 2022
6:02pm, 13 Jan 2022
16,488 posts
  •  
Garfield
Our Chinatown was quite limited in what it sold when I was young - no pastries there, though there was an incredible restaurant where we could get barbecued pork to take away...char siu, with the reddish pink glaze. (drools at the memory, though I don't eat meat any more).
Jan 2022
7:31pm, 13 Jan 2022
2,103 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Mmmm yes, char siu, that’s my Mums favourite.
Jan 2022
7:42pm, 13 Jan 2022
16,953 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Any top tips send them my way!
Jan 2022
8:07pm, 13 Jan 2022
33,621 posts
  •  
Sushi.
I've never been fortunate enough to eat home cooked Chinese food.

I'm really not a fan of takeaway but would love to try the 'real'stuff

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
Instructions for the 2021 edition of Fetch Secret Santa:

1) Send an Fmail to geordiegirl with the name and address you want your parcel sent to by 1st November.

Please indicate if you’re ok to post to an overseas fetchie.

2) Join the group linked to this thread (I have recycled 2020 group so please update with a 2021 at the start so we know it is current)
fetcheveryone.com/groups-view.php?id=1296

If you joined last year but don’t wish to partake you can remove yourself from the group.

3) Be Involved..... Please try not to go AWOL the buying of a SS gift is a lovely thing to do but going quiet on the thread/blogs can make it difficult. We’re not asking you to be specific but a few hints around what things make you tick, what you like / enjoy makes it that bit easier and hopefully gets you something you would like.

Of course the main aim is stalking so subtle hints are fine!

4) if you have allergies or particular dislikes then feel free to put them in the group.....

When you receive the details of your victim:

5) Stalk said victim and determine their interests.

Hint.. you can see what threads your victim posts to by typing the below in Google or whatever

VictimsFetchName site:www.fetcheveryone.com

6) Purchase gift(s) you think they will like, we have suggested £10 but up to you and remember handmade gifts are perfect too. It’s the thought that counts.

7) I’m suggesting you post the gift by 1st December as this has helped a successful SS in previous years. But it’s also ok to add an update to the spreadsheet and keep your elf updated so we can let your victim know they’ve not been forgotten. If you are posting overseas please bear in mind it can take longer than UK post.

8) Wait by your post box for your gift.

9) Sit on hands until the big day! No cheating!

On the big day:

10) Open your gift and share with everyone what you got on the thread.

Spreadsheet Link Here docs.google.com