Fetch Orienteers

48 watchers
Jul 2020
8:44am, 14 Jul 2020
2,125 posts
  •  
Oranj
I'm not sure on that point, but perhaps not.
Jul 2020
9:10am, 14 Jul 2020
1,412 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
I thought SI and EMIT numbers could be registered with BOF. Unable to check atm due to forgetting password for their site.
Jul 2020
9:11am, 14 Jul 2020
1,413 posts
  •  
Shortcut Cam
There's also the issue with battery life in the SI and EMIT cards. Some only last a few years.
Jul 2020
9:12am, 14 Jul 2020
2,126 posts
  •  
Oranj
Yes, that's true, the numbers are then reproduced on your membership card. But the inverse is also the case - the dibber is registered with your details. You can get it changed, but I think it's a bit of a PITA.
Jul 2020
10:26am, 14 Jul 2020
1,839 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Sportident maintain an archive of SI-card registration and providing you know who the previous owner was changing it's registered owner is a 5 minute job (ditto with BOF, all it needs is the previous owner to delete it from their record). sportident.co.uk
Jul 2020
10:54am, 14 Jul 2020
10,656 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I was about to post what FF just said - you can change it, but it needs proactive effort to contact SI.

Clubs *should* download the latest SI database before events (we do), but sometimes they haven't so this can occasionally cause a few issues.

RE: dibbers - quite often people donate their old dibers t clubs/schools for reuse/hire, and they get recycled that way (hence no 2nd hand market). I know that SI give you a discount for trading in an old one when you buy a new one too, so presumably they have some form of recycling system.

I once asked them if they would be willing to sell some of the old returned ones to our club (we were in need of some for our junior development officer to use in schools), but I never got a reply.

What dibber should you buy? (Btw I think we've decided not to worry about hire dibbers - not worth it I think - we just have to make sure we don't reuse at any event and then wash them all afterwards!) Well my SI-card 9 was bought in 2012 I think and still works fine! I've not yet graduated to SI-Air as I don't like the idea of having to send it off for a new battery every 4 years (at £20 a pop inc postage...)
Jul 2020
11:04am, 14 Jul 2020
1,842 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
fozzy SI hire those returned cards out to events, so yes they recycle them into more money :-) In normal times the race organisers I do some work for hire a supply of cards for each race. Most of them are old versions which are perfectly adequate for an event where you use the card only 2 or 3 times (start, finish and a mid-point feed station) during the race.
Jul 2020
11:28am, 14 Jul 2020
10,657 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
FF - I once use one of those SI pcards at the Yorkshireman half.

The next year I insisted on using my SI dibber instead. So much better.
Jul 2020
11:42am, 14 Jul 2020
1,844 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
That's fine if ou have one but most runners don't and aren't interested in having their own (at most races there is no discount for using your own) and any advantage you perceive from using a faster/newer one is irrelevant in the context of the type of events like the Yorkshireman and anyway can be easily outweighted in many other far cheaper ways. Brandishing our own super dooper SI card in events like that is just the equivalent of willy waving!
Jul 2020
11:52am, 14 Jul 2020
10,660 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
It was just that it was uncomfortable/a pain to run with the card! Horrible to run with round your neck. And if you stuck it in your bumbag (as I did), it was a faff to get it out at the CPs.

Hence use my dibber.

But I think fell races could make far more use of SI equipment. It would make fell races easier and safer (no need for summit marshals!)

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
A thread all about orienteering.

If you have any questions (however basic they may seem!) please ask in the thread and someone will hopefully be able to answer.

Here are some useful links:

British Orienteering Federation (BOF): britishorienteering.org.uk

BOF newcomer's guide: britishorienteering.org.uk
Graham Gristwood's beginner's guide on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Zc5AVkFis&feature=emb_title

Find an event through BOF website: britishorienteering.org.uk
Find a local club through the BOF website: britishorienteering.org.uk
Find a local Permanent Orienteering Course: britishorienteering.org.uk

Maprunner main site: maprunner.co.uk

Map symbol guides: maprunner.co.uk
Control Description guide: maprunner.co.uk
Control Description Quiz: maprunner.co.uk