Fetch modellers - model cars, trains, lego, meccano, airfix etc. :-)

15 watchers
Oct 2020
9:59am, 9 Oct 2020
4,060 posts
  •  
Nelly
I know that you think you are talking to yourself most of the time :-) G, but I love reading your updates, keep them coming.
Oct 2020
4:48pm, 12 Oct 2020
36,094 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hee, hee Nelly.

Well, Sunday was great fun this week. Dry and sunny on Sunday, we were very lucky! Tyres went to yellow (dry) quickly after practice established greens, whites or blues not required. I qualified reasonably well in rounds 1 and 3, making my mistakes in 2.

4WD 2WD B Final again which is fine. Started last, finished... not last! Made up a place. Yay, go me! 4WD A Final again, which is good. But dumbo, lost a wheel 10 laps in. D'oh! That will teach me not to double check wheels tight enough. One of the kids got me a new wheel nut (off my other car) and back on track in about 100s (5 laps). Would have been quicker if they hadn't already packed away all their own kit!

All good fun though. Considering getting a slightly quicker motor and speed controller for the 2WD as one of the chaps commented that I'm doing well in slow sections but losing out to others on the straight with lack of speed. Always good to have an excuse to buy new bits! :-) G
Oct 2020
11:10am, 13 Oct 2020
36,099 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Some buying may be going on soon! Will prob wait until after some corp and personal tax paid end Oct, but if I think I deserve a pressie (!) I may get a new X-ray (prob 4WD) to build. £450 just for the chassis and mechanicals. Another £250 for the electronics, so not cheap! I will be able to sell one of the old ones and will have some spares too, so not all down the drain! Honest. I'm telling myself!

wheelspinmodels.co.uk

:-) G
Oct 2020
1:20pm, 15 Oct 2020
470 posts
  •  
icenutter
That does look awesome, though.
Oct 2020
3:13pm, 15 Oct 2020
36,125 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The daft thing about getting a model to build is that I can prob get a pre-built (better than I can build) previous model 2020 for half the price (£250) from one of the guys that is upgrading. I just need to commit to learning all the build mechanics and not just drive other people's all the time. Hmm...

facebook.com

If you can see that FB link (should be pretty public as it is Marketplace)? :-) G
Oct 2020
6:21pm, 15 Oct 2020
472 posts
  •  
icenutter
Don’t tempt me.
Oct 2020
9:36pm, 15 Oct 2020
36,128 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That one is particularly good, built by a club mate of mine. Just sayin' :-) G
Oct 2020
1:40pm, 19 Oct 2020
36,148 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Gosh, that was tough yesterday! Very wet and for some reason I just couldn't get things going at all. 4WD I put the new spike tyres on, but had no grip at back and too much at front so kept just spinning out! Apparently you have to cut half the spikes off! Wta*? Buy new tyres for £7 then annihilate / eviscerate them! Was better by the end, but by that point I had qualified way down in C Final with a couple of kids. Who I thrashed, obvioulsy! ;-) (Actually waited for one of them to catch me up so we could race side by side for a bit, but still won by 2 laps!)

2WD was a bit better but one of the kids marshalling was standing right in my line of sight for the first heat and I couldn't see about 10m of one section so crashed there about 5 times! Very annoying. Should have checked and asked him to move before races started. No point in shouting at him, so didn't do that. Got it together and qualifed in the B final (albeit last and behind some guys I would normally beat). But got up from 6th to 4th so quite pleased at my racing craft. Getting better at my starts and overtakes for instance. And not bailing everytime someone is beside me.

Cars are filthy due to wet and mud. Next weekend may be last as it's getting pretty messy on the track now. Grass obv can't recover. We're normally indoors by start of October, so this reall stretching it! :-) G
Oct 2020
8:21am, 27 Oct 2020
36,213 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Well, unfortunately I didn't race Sunday. It was last outdoors of the year and they had a good time by the reports. But we had an issue at home so I didn't go. So that's it over for the year. I need to just embrace cleaning and rebuilding the cars and enjoy that. :-) G
Nov 2020
4:43pm, 4 Nov 2020
36,321 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just found out Stonehaven RC have an indoor venue that is on Sun 15 Nov. Might try and get up there for that. Be a long drive for a day's racing, but might be worth it. Apparently it's in a warehouse (an indoor horse arena) so also pretty Covid safe. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I can't believe that we've got Crafts, Gardening, Computer Games, but not model cars, trains...!

Just don't call them toys!

My particular hobby was 1/10th scale radio controlled car racing. I'm now looking to get into radio controlled planes. We have some Airfix model builders in here and Lego builders too. Any type of model vehicles really! Planes, trains, automobiles... boats, helicopters, anything! Come join in! :-) G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.