Fetch modellers - model cars, trains, lego, meccano, airfix etc. :-)

1 lurker | 15 watchers
Jun 2020
7:45am, 24 Jun 2020
35,295 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Any joy larks?
Jun 2020
8:36am, 24 Jun 2020
11,330 posts
  •  
larkim
Haven't had a chance to play. How would you test things like signal strength or ESC outputs though? Bear in mind all I've got is an analogue multi-meter! I've connected the multi-meter to to the cables that supply the power to the motor and I can watch the needle move back and forth as I'd expect it to nice and smoothly. It's only once the motor is in place that the funny stuff with the servo twitching starts too.

My thoughts about what it "might" be are:-
- battery packs knackered; missing some "oomph" somehow - but how would I validate this?
- ESC damaged internally - again, how to check?
- motor knackered - given the servo twitching only when the motor is connected, it implies "something"; could it be a rogue magnetic field, or is it something more complex with the ESC misbehaving when the load of the motor is being handled too?
- receiver knackered - probably lowest likelihood I think given what I've been able to do

I'd probably end up spending more on parts trying new components out than I would buying the equivalent current model (this looks to be fairly similar - modelsport.co.uk ), so could well just be a pointless exercise, but I'd really like to get this running again as it's a lot of fun!
Jun 2020
9:32am, 24 Jun 2020
35,299 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hmm, tricky.

Can't test signal strength, but was just suggesting checking aerial at transmitter and receiver end wasn't damaged. Similarly connectors battery, ESC, motor and servo. Batteries in transmitter too, obv!

Re battery pack in car, I don't know if it takes LiPos as wells NiMh but if it does, LiPos are a great upgrade (more power, delivered faster so more speed and acceleration) so a spare battery pack wouldn't go amiss and would allow you to at least tick that one off? :-)G
Jun 2020
9:35am, 24 Jun 2020
35,300 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
(I've ripped my aerial on receiver in past - wrapped it round motor when I didn't have it properly tidied away!
Jun 2020
9:42am, 24 Jun 2020
9,089 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
I haven't done much Meccano lately. Been too busy but the stash still sits there.

OK, back to R/C's.
Jun 2020
9:58am, 24 Jun 2020
35,301 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I did direct some people chatting about Meccano on Over 50s thread over here, but haven't seen anyone arrive!

I was going to say weather's too nice for Meccano, but I remember seeing models of Ferris Wheels and Roundabouts and things outdoors in Meccano! :-) G
Jul 2020
10:29am, 1 Jul 2020
35,402 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Any joy larks?

Well, looks like rc car racing is starting back up as lockdown is eased. Lots of changes for CV in place - no sharing equipment, bring your own high viz, gloves etc. All very sensible.

I look forward to getting back into it. :-) G
Jul 2020
5:41pm, 7 Jul 2020
35,525 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Need to get some new tyres for my 2WD and 4WD cars as we will be back racing soon. There will be all sorts of tidy ups required too probably of things not working. Should be fun. :-) G
Jul 2020
1:45pm, 14 Jul 2020
35,584 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yay, we're racing again on Sunday. Strict measures in place

- no indoor pits
- no sharing of any equipment
- bring your own gloves and high viz (for marshalling when you have to touch someone else's car)
- strict one way system up on to the rostrum
- cashless paying (no tuck shop!)

etc. Will be great to get out. :-) G
Jul 2020
2:01pm, 20 Jul 2020
35,651 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Posted on Coronavirus thread, .... by way of contrast with the EA and running clubs organising training and events, another club that I am in, model car racing, held its first post Coronavirus meet yesterday.

Normally c. 40 people, heats of 8 cars/drivers, standing on a rostrum, and when not driving, handling (marshalling) the cars on the track. Payments by cash etc.

This time, cut to about 25 drivers, max 6 on rostrum, spaced out in a line and going up and down in single file, no crossing, to maintain distance. For marshals, own gloves and high viz to be worn (no longer shared kit with club). And indoor pits (cramped steel containers) not in use except 1 out, 1 in to access equipment and power. Payments all done in advance and online, no cash. And no tuck shop! (It's all outdoors by the way, so masks not required.)

All worked pretty well. Not sure how it will go if it tips it down. We have tent / gazebo things but will be less resilient to inclement weather.

Does feel like things are returning to bit of normality. Hope everyone is staying safe. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I can't believe that we've got Crafts, Gardening, Computer Games, but not model cars, trains...!

Just don't call them toys!

My particular hobby was 1/10th scale radio controlled car racing. I'm now looking to get into radio controlled planes. We have some Airfix model builders in here and Lego builders too. Any type of model vehicles really! Planes, trains, automobiles... boats, helicopters, anything! Come join in! :-) G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.