Fetch Fell Runners

158 watchers
Oct 2022
11:14pm, 19 Oct 2022
18,601 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
There are sometimes some qualifiers that say certain leg runners must have done X cat A or whatever races.

And there now seem to be quite heavy restrictions on how many teams each club can enter most years now.

(Although allocation is not a closed shop like at IHMR)
Oct 2022
11:20pm, 19 Oct 2022
1,882 posts
  •  
paulcook
Yes, that's why I was thinking about re the Hodgson Brothers.

Thank you fozzy.
Nov 2022
2:42pm, 4 Nov 2022
2,020 posts
  •  
paulcook
After some advice especially from those with experience of the Fellsman and/or Old County Tops, probably ideally both.

How possible is it to run both of them back-to-back, given the OCT is only 3 weeks after the Fellsman next year (probably most years to be fair)?

I'm abundantly aware that the Fellsman is really going to test me so I might be being very naive that I reckon I've got a chance of being able to go again for the OCT even if it's near full rest between the two races.

I've had a mixed response of advice so far though nobody put me totally off yet. The main person to ask is probably my partner for the OCT, and while he's far more experienced over that terrain it's also much longer than he's run before.
Nov 2022
2:56pm, 4 Nov 2022
9,244 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
You'd really have to maximise your recovery to do the OCT justice after the rigours of the Fellsman. I'm not an OCT expert (only done it a couple of times), but I do know that the cutoffs are not generous and if you're totally knackered it might be a bit of a stretch.
Nov 2022
6:26pm, 4 Nov 2022
336 posts
  •  
SimonF
I did both in 2013. I was definitely not fully recovered for the OCT and was with a faster partner which didn't help either.
Nov 2022
2:27pm, 5 Nov 2022
9,246 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I keep a reminder of how hard that bloody race is on my desk :-)
Nov 2022
2:27pm, 5 Nov 2022
9,247 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I keep a reminder of how hard that bloody race is on my desk
[cough]
Nov 2022
2:38pm, 5 Nov 2022
2,021 posts
  •  
paulcook
Thank you. Think both your answers kind of what I'd expect.
Nov 2022
12:23pm, 11 Nov 2022
135 posts
  •  
olde english
as an FYI for your racing diaries next year....https://www.fetcheveryone.com/races/youlgraves-pommie-panter-7600806 .New for 2023 Youlgrave Pommie Panter Fell Race. Feeling rather proud of how pleasantly brutal i've made a 6mile BS. So if you're in the Peaks next spring pop along for a jog about. FRA, finishes in a pub, lots of 'rolling' hills, nice long climb on a country lane at the start to thin the field out and a right old slap in the face finishing climb.
Nov 2022
2:04pm, 11 Nov 2022
4,345 posts
  •  
Curly45
Nice, definitely one to add to the list to consider olde english not sure I'll be fit enough in May 23, but we will see.

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A place to discuss all aspects of running on the fells, from footwear to the best line off Scafell Pike :-) Beginners welcome!