Fetch Fell Runners

158 watchers
Oct 2022
1:06pm, 4 Oct 2022
9,162 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I've got a couple of places for the Ullswater 24 on 15th October if anyone is interested in doing it, it's the same day as the fell relays of course. Pretty sure the places are transferrable. This is a rescheduled event from last year when it had to be cancelled due to flooding. Fmail me if interested.
Oct 2022
12:46pm, 18 Oct 2022
134 posts
  •  
olde english
hola all. Anybody live (or coming on hols) close to Youlgrave (about 2m from Bakewell, peak District) to fancy a 5.8 mile jog about...? I m (youlgrave harriers) putting on the villages (new) fell race in May 2023 and could do with a neutrals oooo that needs a marshal/arrow/warning. Its a tasty (lacking in any flat) route but me and my fellow local yokels are blind to any hazards etc because i run round here everyday.
Oct 2022
2:19pm, 18 Oct 2022
9,192 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Am just on the point of retiring my last pair of X-Talon 200s, not because the studs are knackered, it's actually the uppers that have worn through on the lateral sides. I was running in them on Saturday in the fell relays and a lot of contouring was involved, they have zero support for this and the fabric just takes the strain. I guess they were never designed as a fell shoe so I shouldn't complain, but all the same I don't like binning a pair of shoes with perfectly good studdage. I've got a pair of 255s and I suppose these address the shortcomings of the 200 as a fell shoe, can anyone tell me if they've had success with these?
Oct 2022
2:56pm, 18 Oct 2022
18,592 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
There's a place in Derby(?) or Matlock(?) that will do shoe repairs for about £40 and put new soles on uppers or vice versa.

Someone I know had different soles put on a different upper for some reason this way.
Oct 2022
4:25pm, 18 Oct 2022
3,534 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Resoles in Chesterfield? There is also Lancashire Sports Repairs. Both use Walsh soles for fell running shoes i think. But they're both really about putting new soles on existing uppers which isn't NE's problem.
Oct 2022
4:36pm, 18 Oct 2022
9,193 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Resoles in Chesterfield? There is also Lancashire Sports Repairs. Both use Walsh soles for fell running shoes i think. But they're both really about putting new soles on existing uppers which isn't NE's problem.
That's exactly right. This is actually the second pair of 200s that I've had to chuck with good studs and it sticks in my throat a bit. I hope the 255s will be better, they have a lot more lateral and medial reinforcement.

* in case anyone didn't know, the X-Talon 200 was originally designed as an obstacle course shoe, you know Tough Mudders etc, that's why it doesn't have the same reinforcement. Inov8 used it to fill the gap that was left after they stopped making the X-Talon 212 in standard (i.e. wide) fit and of course, lots of fell runners were forced to use it.
Oct 2022
5:16pm, 18 Oct 2022
5,571 posts
  •  
Snoot
I like the 255’s now they worn in. Had an issue with rubbing the front of my ankles on first use but that was running in snow with silly short socks 🙈. They are definitely firmer than the 200. Think I’ve posted this before but found I needed to go half a size up from 9.5 200 to 10 255 which are in this pic
Oct 2022
5:17pm, 18 Oct 2022
5,572 posts
  •  
Snoot
I meant the uppers are firmer
Oct 2022
5:32pm, 18 Oct 2022
9,194 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Mmmm, I'm wondering if I will regret buying both shoes in size 9. Thanks for the thoughts there Snooty :-)
Oct 2022
5:33pm, 18 Oct 2022
9,195 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Snooty?? Sorry, typo!

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A place to discuss all aspects of running on the fells, from footwear to the best line off Scafell Pike :-) Beginners welcome!