Fetch Fell Runners

158 watchers
jda
Sep 2021
7:24pm, 14 Sep 2021
10,798 posts
  •  
jda
Isn’t XC just fell running for people who live in flat places?
Sep 2021
7:28pm, 14 Sep 2021
15,372 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
No, there's a clear distinction - at least in my head.
Sep 2021
7:40pm, 14 Sep 2021
51,799 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
XC is too matching vest and shorts ‘organised athletics’ for me but I take your point re ultra running. I have really enjoyed some training recently aimed at getting me moving quicker over 5K (and that has worked)
Sep 2021
8:10pm, 14 Sep 2021
2,859 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Ok, to add my twopennyworth to the controversial views. I think the reason a lot of fell runners avoid XC is that there is nowhere to hide. XC is full on hard running from gun to tape, often in full view of spectators, many in the running community these days just don't want that. Fell running offers many the perfect excuses to walk if they want to. The current fashion for ultra running is partly driven by the same thinking plus non-running friends/social media are far more impressed by being told you spent the weekend doing a 100K run (even if the truth is your walked most of it) than you flogged yourself round a 5 mile XC course in the local park (to many XC is just something you did out of sufference at school when it was raining and the PE staff couldn't be arsed to get wet!).

The paradox is that XC or running fast on the road is simply too hard for most and walking in it is embarrasing but ultras and fell running, which sound far more hardcore actually offer many opportunities for taking it easy....
Sep 2021
8:17pm, 14 Sep 2021
2,860 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Another way of looking at it is that in both ultras and fell running (and in orienteering for that matter as well) many feel more at ease because the racing element is less to the fore and in many cases they have no interest in racing.
Sep 2021
8:22pm, 14 Sep 2021
15,373 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'd broadly agree with that ff.
Sep 2021
8:26pm, 14 Sep 2021
51,801 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Spot on
Sep 2021
8:27pm, 14 Sep 2021
22,395 posts
  •  
Rosehip
*delurks* XC isn’t so much fun unless you are scoring for your club, those of us that love a good muddy run, but will never be at the sharp scoring for club end, don’t necessarily feel included in the clubiness.
Sep 2021
8:31pm, 14 Sep 2021
15,374 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
That, for me, RH, is where the personal achievement thing comes in - testing to see how good you can be.

It's the same principle as testing yourself against the clock on the road (or for that matter, any race against the clock).
Sep 2021
8:39pm, 14 Sep 2021
14,171 posts
  •  
Badger
I took up trail ultras because the views were better than city half marathons and I was getting too old for half marathon PBs. I appear to have taken three and a half minutes off my half PB as a result, mind.

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A place to discuss all aspects of running on the fells, from footwear to the best line off Scafell Pike :-) Beginners welcome!