Fetch Fell Runners

158 watchers
Sep 2021
4:36pm, 14 Sep 2021
51,798 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Whether clubs have a genuine interest in / culture of fell running is an interesting question. Maybe add Ilkley & Bingley to your list locally NE
Sep 2021
4:57pm, 14 Sep 2021
15,367 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Ahem....
Sep 2021
5:00pm, 14 Sep 2021
15,368 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I guess it's down to what the members in the club want to do.

And where the club wants to go.

I've never heard anyone actively discourage anyone from fell running, although sometimes a word of caution has to be offered when people start encouraging newer fell runners to give races like Wasdale "a go" as a first fell race or similar
Sep 2021
5:05pm, 14 Sep 2021
15,369 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The other thing with T&F and XC is that they are the "supported" EA pathways for juniors.

UKA doesn't care about trail and fell running, which is why the TRA and particularly the FRA continue to exist. Whereas all XC and T&F seems to have be consumed by UKA?

And on the clubs front - P&B - their adult membership is very fell dominant, but their junior section is very Track and XC dominant.
Sep 2021
5:07pm, 14 Sep 2021
15,370 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Personally, I think, if you want to find out just how good you are, then you should be open to running everything - fell, road, XC, trail, track, orienteering etc etc.

They all compliment each other.
Sep 2021
5:46pm, 14 Sep 2021
7,953 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Some wise words there Fozzy and you're absolutely right that UKA doesn't have Trail or Fell on its radar - I was reading some disappointed words from a serving member of the RNAC just the other day, basically the MoD have declined to allow him to instigate an RN/RM Trail Running Championship - it doesn't "fit" the athletics mould that would allow it to be categorised as a duty evolution. Ergo, the lads and lasses cannot do it other than in their own time and not as a sanctioned duty.
jda
Sep 2021
5:51pm, 14 Sep 2021
10,795 posts
  •  
jda
We’ve got a great junior section, probably stronger than the adults, one of them just won a national title. I suspect a lot of parents use it as cheap after-school childcare to start with at least :-)
Sep 2021
5:53pm, 14 Sep 2021
7,954 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Mmmm. Your club is right there in fellrunning central isn't it? Now you mention it, I saw a lot of your juniors at a recent race.
jda
Sep 2021
5:57pm, 14 Sep 2021
10,796 posts
  •  
jda
Not a lot else to do round here to be fair :-)
Sep 2021
7:17pm, 14 Sep 2021
15,371 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
To continue my thought, I don't understand why more fell runners don't do XC (or should I say why so many fell runners avoid XC like the plague) - it's perfect training for racing and running on the fells - a hard run over undulating, uneven, terrain.

And something I have noticed <warning: controversial opinion approaching> is that ultra running seems to have developed something of an image of being the "ultimate" challenge and that completing one is the greatest achievement that one can do.

If someone runs an ultra, is that a better achievement than if someone runs a road 10k and takes a minute or more off their PB?

For many, the "longer is harder" rule would always apply, but I think far more context is required before you can make a judgement.

<potential controversial opinion ends?>

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A place to discuss all aspects of running on the fells, from footwear to the best line off Scafell Pike :-) Beginners welcome!