•  
Northern Exile
That's good of you Fozzy. Yeah, we're in N Yorks - now tier 3
Dec 2020
4:42pm, 31 Dec 2020
12,515 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Well it was a stunning morning for it. Sunny for the whole run.

And although it was icy in places, the worst bit was penistone hill, the rest was ok.

However had we been racing, it'd have been the top o'stairs route.

However, best bit of the day was the stunning cloud inversion down the valley. Dropping down from The Flappit into Haworth, it just looked amazing. Sadly didn't have time to get a photo from there, but got one from penistone hill.
Jan 2021
5:14pm, 6 Jan 2021
7,222 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Just wondering, has anyone had experience of Icebug shoes? Looking at the Pytho 5 in particular.
Jan 2021
5:19pm, 6 Jan 2021
48,390 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
While we’re talking fell shoes I’m still using an old pair of Muclaw 272. What’s nearest thing to them available now please? I guess 3 or 4 on the fit scale and robust not racers ;-)
Jan 2021
7:17pm, 6 Jan 2021
19,621 posts
  •  
flanker
NE, couple of people in the club, who you'd almost certainly know, have recommended Icebugs generally in discussions over the last couple of weeks, so could be worth considering.

DT - I'd have thought the only possible inov-8s would be the ultra-talons or the 200 x-talons (which manage to be pretty fast/light while still being bomb-proof). All the 'claws are 1 or 2 fit now. And are too narrow for my hobbit feet now :-(. Not sure about other brands.
Jan 2021
7:39pm, 6 Jan 2021
2,456 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
I had a pair many years ago NE that I picked up in Sweden many years ago when the only dob spikes shoes available in the UK were very uncushioned orienteering shoes (also from Scandinavia). I remember them as being well made (as you might expect) and up to proper terrain running but with more cushioning than standard O shoes had.

Those Pytho 5s look like a similar shoe to the Inov8 Orocs (I'm not sure if Inov8 are still making them? but they are kicking about at Sportshoes etc. Mine have been bulletproof and have served well on a variety of events including several TdHs) or the VJ Xante (VJ have three shoes with dob spikes - Devil, Xante and Xero all with slightly different characteristics).
Jan 2021
8:00pm, 6 Jan 2021
48,394 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Thanks flanker

Coincidentally in the act of tidying away our Christmas decorations I found a ‘well worn but serviceable’ pair of grey Mudclaw 270s that I suspect strongly are the pair I did my BG in back in 2011
Jan 2021
8:49pm, 6 Jan 2021
12,541 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'm surprised they've not been framed and put on the wall, DT!
Jan 2021
9:20pm, 6 Jan 2021
480 posts
  •  
stilldreaming
What is it about forgotten shoes? I was rooting about in the back of a wardrobe today and found a bag containing some little worn fellraisers and a pair of (probably) too small roclites. I can remember buying the former, but can I remember buying the latter? Kind of wondering if they belong to someone else, as they're a bit small for me 😂
Jan 2021
9:21pm, 6 Jan 2021
7,227 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Fellraiser are best kept in the cupboard :-)

#gripless

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A place to discuss all aspects of running on the fells, from footwear to the best line off Scafell Pike :-) Beginners welcome!