•  
minardi
I still can't believe that no one has snapped up Perez for next year
Nov 2020
9:29am, 16 Nov 2020
12,676 posts
  •  
larkim
Plus a new circuit next time out I think - the outer loop at Abu Dhabi if I'm not mistaken.

Could be a chance for a Renault to do well, lots of straight line speed etc.

Autosport podcast this morning mused that we could see Bottas "reset" now - no pressure now that Hamilton has won, so these are just straight free races; Rosberg took full advantage of that before winning the next season, but I doubt Hamilton would allow that history to repeat itself!
um
Nov 2020
11:17am, 16 Nov 2020
3,676 posts
  •  
um
I suspect Lewis has eyes on 100 wins and #8 .... so no letting up and (as Toto) said yesterday, will talk about next year now this year is won.
Nov 2020
12:17pm, 16 Nov 2020
12,679 posts
  •  
larkim
The other big talking point from yesterday for me was how appalling badly Verstappen seemed to suffer from "red mist". Putting aside the inherent challenges of driving fast yesterday, he had a nailed on podium, and potential win, and he threw it away. He had no need to follow Perez so closely when he did. For someone with so much clearly apparent talent as he has (I have a suspicion that he has the ability to be faster than Hamilton consistently in a way no-one else on the grid has) he really blew it.

Hamilton is going to be setting records that may not be eclipsed in the future though isn't he?
Nov 2020
1:20pm, 16 Nov 2020
71,997 posts
  •  
Gobi
Larks - he is still young and sometimes still a rookie

HG - it is possible not to warm to Lewis without being racist or right wing or jealous.

I'm not a Seb or a schui fan either and they are/were good/great drivers but there were other drivers I liked in these eras too.
Nov 2020
1:31pm, 16 Nov 2020
12,681 posts
  •  
larkim
116 race starts / 6 seasons; he should be beyond rookie by now? I'll give him a pass on the basis of one race day though!
Nov 2020
1:39pm, 16 Nov 2020
36,459 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I agree Gobi. Think I've answered where my point was coming from - the "hater" language on some of the comments on other social media were pretty unpleasant and, in my opinion, were born of those sentiments. I completely agree that some people just don't "warm to Lewis".

Verstappen is hot headed. Time will tell whether he can balance his aggression with sense. I think you need both to be a champion. :-) G
Nov 2020
1:51pm, 16 Nov 2020
72,000 posts
  •  
Gobi
Thing is larks is entire race career is almost only f1 so I agree lots of F1 but other drivers who waited for F1 have raced crap cars and worse conditions
Nov 2020
1:55pm, 16 Nov 2020
12,682 posts
  •  
larkim
Fair point; goes to the heart of why drivers ought to be better schooled in "slicks and wings" before they make it to F1. No doubting his talent, definitely scope for more maturity. Scary that he's still younger than Hamilton was when he won the WDC, even after 6 seasons in F1!
Nov 2020
2:41pm, 16 Nov 2020
12,658 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
Hamilton used to be a bit hot-headed too, didn't he? Hopefully, Verstappen will grow out of it.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Thread for those who like their racing long, predictable but strangely addictive. And generally fossil fuelled.

Spoiler best practice
No quali spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show
No race spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show

Spoiler tags can be used - we're all grown ups so no need to click a Spoiler tag if we don't need to. But just make sure you type it correctly!!

So it needs to be (without the spaces, and all lowercase)

< spoiler >< /spoiler >