SPR
That's not new reporting...
Aug 2022
12:44pm, 30 Aug 2022
18,790 posts
  •  
larkim
Quiet in here after Spa.

Max really showed his abilities (and the RBR car too of course), so I didn't enjoy the race ;-)

Was very surprised to see how well Russell fared after the Merc was all over the place in the quali sessions. Presumably the higher temps played into their hands. Hamilton must be rueing his mistake as there was a good result available for both cars if he'd made it through lap 1.

Alonso is great at coming up with quips in the car. Not sure I agree with him, but it's pretty typical Fernando to keep things spicy. Hamilton seemed genuinely hurt by the comments, especially as FA didn't retract it after the race.
Aug 2022
1:10pm, 30 Aug 2022
8,263 posts
  •  
minardi
I thought the coverage was appalling. I thought it made the race look quite pedestrian. I'm chuffed that Alonso did so well. And George keeping up his track record.
Aug 2022
1:44pm, 30 Aug 2022
18,791 posts
  •  
larkim
They definitely do what they can to make the cars look slow in many areas. Long shots of cars coming towards you really underplay their speed.

One of my kids showed me this video to show how framing etc can have a big impact on the sense of speed on video. Wonder if this is at the root of why it doesn't always look great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54Oy75Bnu_Q&ab_channel=Quahntasy-AnimatingUniverse
Aug 2022
1:50pm, 30 Aug 2022
43,521 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Was that the C4 highlights or the Sky live race minardi? I had recorded C4 highlights and watched late on Sunday. I fast forwarded after lap 12 as I reckoned if Verstappen can get from 14th to first in 12 laps he'd won. Which was the case.

But further down the field, some fab wheel to wheel racing - did you see Mick Schumacher's fantastic overtake at La Source (can't remember who). It's such a wonderful track. :-) G
Aug 2022
2:03pm, 30 Aug 2022
8,265 posts
  •  
minardi
C4 highlights Happy
Aug 2022
2:38pm, 30 Aug 2022
43,523 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Like I say, I only skimmed it, so I probably didn't get the full effect, either boring or exciting. But I saw a few great bits of overtaking, the whole strategy was fascinating with cars that could or could not carve their way through the field. Thought Russell did v. well to finish well. And Alonso was feisty and fun to follow.

Hamilton I think gambled too much trying to race hard with Alonso (Alonso, of all people), I think that was poor judgement to be honest. I know some people accuse him of not being aggressive enough, but I think that was too big a chance to take.

This was the Schumacher overtake I was referring too - just looked so cool and smooth.

https://youtu.be/cbY9ec8zaEE
Aug 2022
3:14pm, 30 Aug 2022
18,792 posts
  •  
larkim
That's Eau Rouge, not La Source :-)

Yes, good driving by the pair of them.

I can forgive Hamilton being aggressive this year; he's not got a title at risk. But it did make him look like a bit of an over-enthusiastic youngster yesterday when the long game would have been sensible.
Aug 2022
3:22pm, 30 Aug 2022
43,526 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Coming out of La Source then... flip's sake, F1 police! ;-)

What will he do after this year? If he's second to Russell (which looks possible) will he be motivated for next year?

How gutted must Russell be that he joined Mercedes (as full driver) just as they no longer had a championship winning capable car?! :-)G
Aug 2022
3:27pm, 30 Aug 2022
18,793 posts
  •  
larkim
I think Russell is probably quietly enjoying himself. Yes, he's not in a car that will win him the WDC in Y1 in a top team, but he's demonstrated the consistency race after race that I was worried he wouldn't have. At Williams he qualified fast and then often slid backwards; I hoped this wasn't a problem with race craft, and was a car issue. And that's what it seems.

So Russell will now know that if he has a WDC capable car underneath him, he will challenge Hamilton. He's no Bottas.

Hamilton won't like being beaten in the points, but he'll know how many points he's given away this year due to experimental setups etc etc and I doubt he'll lose much sleep over it. If Russell was beating him in the WDC and they were 1-2 then that would be a different thing.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Thread for those who like their racing long, predictable but strangely addictive. And generally fossil fuelled.

Spoiler best practice
No quali spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show
No race spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show

Spoiler tags can be used - we're all grown ups so no need to click a Spoiler tag if we don't need to. But just make sure you type it correctly!!

So it needs to be (without the spaces, and all lowercase)

< spoiler >< /spoiler >