•  
minardi
Great race!
Jul 2022
10:07pm, 3 Jul 2022
18,191 posts
  •  
larkim
Brilliant race, evidence of why the old skool tracks rule (and, to be fair, that the current gen of cars are able to race).
Jul 2022
8:45am, 4 Jul 2022
1,488 posts
  •  
Akie
Fantastic race. Fair play to Leclerc for fighting the way he did on used Hard tyres and making it so exciting
Jul 2022
8:54am, 4 Jul 2022
18,194 posts
  •  
larkim
No need for spoilers as it was live on terrestrial yesterday!

Leclerc on hard tyres, a compromised front wing etc was immense.

Hamilton continues to have bad luck though. In any other year, getting the chance to pit for softs when he did under the SC would have seen him taking the fight to 2nd and 1st place, but sods law put Perez right behind him.

Pretty poor that protestors could get onto the track on lap 1. Could have been a major incident had the other major incident not happened.
Jul 2022
9:23am, 4 Jul 2022
42,775 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
No one can argue that halo isn't a good innovation - saved 2 lives this weekend too. Zhou's crash was horrendous.

4 cars trying to get into one corner near the end was fabulous racing to watch. Agree Leclerc defending was great to see. Sad for Russell getting taken out at start. Do we think that he should have been allowed to restart race given that he only left his car to try and help Zhou? :-) G
Jul 2022
10:04am, 4 Jul 2022
18,196 posts
  •  
larkim
I loved seeing GR go to Zhou's aid, but as some others have pointed out sometimes it's best to let the experts (i.e. the marshalls and the medic guys) get in there and do their jobs. But in the heat of the moment I loved his humanity, and perhaps there should be scope for allowing him to restart. Could create lots of grey areas though.
Jul 2022
10:35am, 4 Jul 2022
42,778 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
We have it in running races (ultras). There are strict cut offs for check points, but there is also a principle of aiding another runner if they have had an accident or are unwell. If in doing that you then miss a cut off (or breach any other rule), then at the discretion of the race director, you would be allowed to continue in your race.

I realise it's different for multi-million dollar motor sport, but the principle could still apply?

Grey area though. And I agree, there was probably very little that he could/would have done, but I thought it was a great reaction and good to see. :-) G
Jul 2022
10:45am, 4 Jul 2022
18,198 posts
  •  
larkim
I guess it's different as a motor sport circuit is supposed to have competent marshalls all around the track ready to give assistance. In part you don't want to encourage drivers out of their cars because they then become unsafe and an additional risk to manage. There's also the issue of seat belt fitting (albeit that that would have been a minor issue at the likely speed of Russell driving back to the pits).
Jul 2022
11:30am, 4 Jul 2022
1,489 posts
  •  
Akie
Thought Id be careful just incase with the spoilers. Completely agree with Larkim about how great these cars seem now theyve raced on a proper race track rather than a street circuit. Silverstone being quite wide really helped the drivers fight overtakes through multiple corners, fantastic stuff.

I watched the race as live later in the day so got my wife to immediately check that Zhou was ok as that looked horrendous.
Jul 2022
10:23am, 6 Jul 2022
2,353 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
On the graphics each driver is displayed as first 3 letters from their surname (HAM, VER, RUS...) except Mick (MSC). Wonder why.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Thread for those who like their racing long, predictable but strangely addictive. And generally fossil fuelled.

Spoiler best practice
No quali spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show
No race spoilers until after (or during?) the Ch4 highlights show

Spoiler tags can be used - we're all grown ups so no need to click a Spoiler tag if we don't need to. But just make sure you type it correctly!!

So it needs to be (without the spaces, and all lowercase)

< spoiler >< /spoiler >