Fetch Declutterers

85 watchers
Aug 2020
4:20pm, 1 Aug 2020
309 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
I’ve got a few kitchen bits and bobs (vase, storage jars, cups and saucers) that have just been taking up cupboard space. I need to locate a sturdy enough cardboard box to pack them for the charity shop - I think packing and leaving for the roadside charity bag could be a bit of a disaster!
Aug 2020
6:06pm, 1 Aug 2020
6,535 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Week off work this week, hoping to declutter. Local tip is now enforcing a booking system. The next available appointment when I looked on Thursday (30th July) was 12th August. Won't be going there for a while, then.
Aug 2020
6:18pm, 1 Aug 2020
315 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
Ours is doing a thing where you go by date and your car reg - even car registrations go on even dates and vice versa. Never seem to remember or have the time when it matches my car reg 🙄
Aug 2020
6:21pm, 1 Aug 2020
20,083 posts
  •  
Columba
Ours just has us queuing up outside; no more than 2 cars in at a time. One drives out and another is allowed in.
Aug 2020
7:03pm, 1 Aug 2020
50,524 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
One has an elaborate queuing system and last time I gave up. Got a huge bag of cables in the boot. An entrepreneur would advertise for boot space in their car and do the queuing for you!!
Did freecycle lots of old camping equipment though and a hoover to go
Aug 2020
7:19pm, 1 Aug 2020
21,153 posts
  •  
Meglet
I’ve given away a few things on Facebook that were cluttering up a cupboard. Daughter 1 is mithering about sorting out the office as she is starting a new job and may be working from home. It’s been tackled seven times but I’ve never finished it, and recently has become the place to store unwanted stuff before the tip and charity shops reopened.

(Our tip had a one way queue on the road but it’s back to almost normal now)
Aug 2020
8:28am, 2 Aug 2020
1,893 posts
  •  
PenW
I’m planning to hire a midi skip with a friend (mid sized) to do garage clearance/garden clearance. Going to the tip for multiple trips would be a bit of a nightmare at the moment. I think we also have the number plate system now and queues are being capped at an hour.

My friend has hired skips before and the skip company then sorts the waste and recycles what is recyclable.

I’ve been procrastinating so he’s just going to order the skip for 2 weeks time and it’ll be plonked on my drive so I’ll have to do it 😂
.B.
Aug 2020
9:19pm, 3 Aug 2020
41,236 posts
  •  
.B.
That sounds like a good plan PenW, no choice then :)
Aug 2020
10:42pm, 3 Aug 2020
20,097 posts
  •  
Columba
Got Younger Daughter's permission to get rid of some of her teenage and YA books (she's going on 32).

Question is, will a charity shop take them, at present?

Some of them were falling apart, and have been added to the recycling.
Aug 2020
11:00pm, 3 Aug 2020
50,542 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
Some charity shops are open and taking books, some won’t. All the book banks I’ve tried are shut

About This Thread

Maintained by Night-owl
Help advice and support for declutterers

Special May Challenge

theminimalists.com

".... This month, each of you must get rid of one thing on the first day. On the second, two things. Three items on the third. So forth, and so on. Anything can go! Clothes, furniture, electronics, tools, decorations, etc. Donate, sell, or trash. Whatever you do, each material possession must be out of your house—and out of your life—by midnight each day."

Spreadsheet (thank you mad4purple)
docs.google.com
Some helpful links
unfuckyourhabitat.com