Fetch Charity Handicap Relay

26 watchers
Mar 2012
9:24am, 14 Mar 2012
10,859 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I thought that the idea of us all competing for some funds for our chosen charity was quite the exciting part. I didn't imagine that it would be anything other than an upfront declaration by each team of who they'd like to donate their winnings to, and then it becomes a decision on the part of subsequent entrants on whether to get involved. I acknowledge the possibility that there may be some unpopular choices, but I would have thought that 'squeamish' charities are in a minority?

All I really want to add is that all the ideas for how to arrange the run sound fantastic. The only danger could be in trying to make it too fantastic, and stretching the organisation beyond what is possible. I know that a small group of people (not me btw, I just sat on my arse and sent out a few emails) worked incredibly hard to make the MnP a great race.

Clueless - that idea is still very much erect :-) I spoke to my boss about it last week. He's referred me on to the legal dept, because the company has some rules about charities that it supports, and it muddies the waters further if it's a charity that's called say "The Fetcheveryone Charity". Plus of course there are partnerships with existing charities on the site to consider. There's the possibility of calling it "The Randomly Named Charity", and making it nothing to do with Fetch, but then my bosses are less likely to be supportive of promoting it.
Mar 2012
9:40am, 14 Mar 2012
644 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Liking this idea - and happy to throw my hat in alongside V/Rap's to help out with the sorting of something up this end of the world.

Just a thought - any way we can arrange for sad, shy, isolated, antisocial loners (like me for example) to enter as idividuals and be allocated to a pool from which teams can be assembled on the day?
Mar 2012
9:51am, 14 Mar 2012
6,333 posts
  •  
KatieB
How can you be sad, isolated and antisocial if you're a)offering to help and b)offering to be in a team? The shy bit I can understand, I have that one too and I still try and get involved just like you are. You might have to reconsider the others. :-)
Mar 2012
10:12am, 14 Mar 2012
645 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
:) I'm laying it on a bit thick for effect Katie - but there is a serious point in there. Sometimes it's hard for people to raise a team, or even openly ask 'can I be in your team please' - I'd like to think it's possible to harness the power of this place to ensure that those individuals, who can unintentionally be overlooked, are included too.
Mar 2012
10:39am, 14 Mar 2012
6,334 posts
  •  
KatieB
That's a really kind thought :-)
Mar 2012
10:44am, 14 Mar 2012
16,509 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
Andy - fair point but if the idea floats then you could start a thread for Team Andy, I ended up on Fetch RNR team Three that way. Poss do a pleading blog first.
Mar 2012
11:23am, 14 Mar 2012
648 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Good thought Chief - a diplomatic 'stop bleating and do something about it yourself' sort of message ;)

A thread/group to match relay orphans to each other or to otherwise incomplete teams is probably the way to go. I'll leave myself an instruction to start that once there's an event proposed that I can get to.

*Resumes lurking quietly in a corner waiting for somebody who knows what they are doing to evolve the idea a little further*
Mar 2012
1:30pm, 14 Mar 2012
4,565 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
I'm sure we can open an orphan entry category and thrust you all together with some suitable foster parents.
Mar 2012
1:31pm, 14 Mar 2012
18,187 posts
  •  
ogee
Team *Norman No Mates* ;)
Mar 2012
6:00pm, 14 Mar 2012
19,704 posts
  •  
Dave A
*puts hand up to be 'unsuitable' foster parent*

;-)

About This Thread

The Mick & Phil half at Draycote was a resounding success and as such there seems to be quite a bit ...