Fetch Camper Vans

1 lurker | 89 watchers
Sep 2020
9:06pm, 5 Sep 2020
1,473 posts
  •  
shanksi
Hello, Fetchie camper van people. mrs and I have been thinking about getting a van for a while but getting more serious.
We're looking at maybe a Toyota Alphard Eco Camper from campervanco.com and are hoping to go speak to them next weekend.

Just wondering if anyone has any general advice at the moment but might be back with more questions.
Sep 2020
9:12pm, 5 Sep 2020
36,324 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Don’t know the Toyota. I would suggest a bit of a trawl to find owners’ forums or maybe a dedicated FB group to see what the buzz is.

*Not* trying to convert you to a VW, but bear in mind that they are popular because they seem to last well, the underlying vehicle (van) is well thought of and there are enough around to make sourcing spares/repairs fairly straightforward. That does bring a premium price, though. Think about what characteristics of a vehicle are important to you (longevity? quality?) and quiz the dealer on those aspects.

Sounds exciting - good luck!
Sep 2020
8:25am, 6 Sep 2020
10,122 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Don't know the Toyota either but with regard to the Van have a good think on what you plan to use it for, as you can have so many different layouts etc with the VW's.

Also if you are going to carry bikes etc, and if so what bikes as different racks and ways of having racks work for different bikes and different back doors.

Then there is the awning - thata a mine field but its all good fun (am sat in my awning listening to the birds signing and having a cuppa) 😁
Sep 2020
8:35am, 6 Sep 2020
71,270 posts
  •  
Gobi
Shanksi - as someone who does not worship at the VW temple I own a T4 , I got it for many of the reasons stated here. Solid starter point. Available parts , customisers like them.

I had a Renault Traffic , better engine and gearbox and all around a much better drive however it wasnt solid like the T4.

Engines - the newer VWs are like big cars(a few friends have them.

I guess it depends how you intend to use it , how long you intend to own it and your budget.

Honestly mine is a 3grand shed but it is 23 years old. I dont use it as a daily driver and accept I take my time going anywhere.

Forums are full of Info

The more you want to use it the more I would be getting the newest Van I could get.

The Jap kit will be reliable but not sure how you will do for spares ina few years, that said the Bongo and Friendiee(its a Ford Bongo) seem to have a cult following as does the Mitsubishi Delcia.(very much a day van though and not seen many with beds etc otherwise I would have got one as 4 x 4)
Sep 2020
9:27am, 6 Sep 2020
36,326 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I’ve looked at the website now. I have to say that the whole hybrid technology approach with no need for electric hookups or gas bottles sounds really innovative. Toyota could well be setting the future direction for campervans. And the hybrid engine runs on petrol not diesel - although the VW Diesel engines seem to live forever, they’ve got their critics, and I read that petrol-driven campervans are very desirable right now.
Sep 2020
9:34am, 6 Sep 2020
36,327 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Campervans are usually (?) equpped with a second battery, a “leisure battery”, which is charged either when you are driving or when plugged into a EHU on a site. There’s a lot of chat on forums about how many days you can last in one place before the leisure battery stops powering the fridge. Although you can overcome this by running the engine for a bit, the claim of “ Unlimited electric power” is attractive!
Sep 2020
9:39am, 6 Sep 2020
1,474 posts
  •  
shanksi
Thanks for all your comments - the hybrid idea does seem attractive, my main annoyance about it is that it doesn't seem to allow for plug-in charging of the battery which means you can't use just electric for multiple short journeys as you would with a PHEV or electric car. Still probably a bit cleaner and more efficient than just ICE though.
Sep 2020
9:44am, 6 Sep 2020
17,664 posts
  •  
Rosehip
The smaller Toyota (Alphard ?) looks very tempting!
Sep 2020
9:49am, 6 Sep 2020
11,228 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Thanks for all the replies 😀. We are VW owners already, we've had a Touran for 13 years and slept in the back of it quite a few times but need something comfier. It's diesel and we would probably like to get away from that. We had a Nissan Leaf for a couple of years but the range was not good so it was only used for the commute. Hybrid appeals to us for this reason. Several of our friends own VW vans, but a close friend owns an Alphard and is always praising them. It will be good to chat to a dealer and see what we think. I'm excited, it's something we've thought about for years, I guess having our two eldest away to uni has made it easier so we only have the 12yo who will come away with us.
Sep 2020
10:09am, 6 Sep 2020
36,328 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I’ve never knowingly seen one ... will start looking out on my journey home today!

Looking forward to reading your campervan column review next week! 😀

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...