Fetch Camper Vans

1 lurker | 89 watchers
Sep 2020
8:34pm, 4 Sep 2020
19,585 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
How are we finding post-lockdown pricing structure?

It seems to be very up and down up here. There's a couple of places we used to go that seem to be much the same (albeit they appear to have banned tents and are only accepting tourers/vans) but a lot of places have put up the basic price and, in some cases, have returned to 1980s style "splitting out the bill" (eg £22 for unit+2, £5 per extra person, £1 for a shower token, £1 for a hairdryer token, £5 per card for electricity meter). So they're expecting me to pay IRO £40 a night for a family of 4 - makes Travelodge look very tempting.

Meanwhile, the hotels in Inverness have reduced their rates by about a third. Looks like the caravan might not be getting out this Autumn after all.
Sep 2020
8:46pm, 4 Sep 2020
36,313 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
New to this, so it’s hard to compare.

We’ve got a long weekend in Pitlochry next weekend (staying with relatives in a cottage while we are there) and we debated whether to drive my fast comfortable motorway car and B&B one night each way (can’t do it either way in a single day because of work and other commitments) or to take the van and stop somewhere mid-way and pay the sort of prices you describe. We’ll cover 10 to 15 miles less every hour in the van, but the van wins hands down!

(Admittedly there ere are only two of us making the journey and we are not having to decide on cost alone.)
Sep 2020
8:49pm, 4 Sep 2020
36,314 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Nearest campsite to Land’s End and I’m paying 7 per night for me and 5 for the pitch (or possibly the other way round, I didn’t really pay attention) and 4 per night for an electric hookup. Two “free” shower tokens with that. But they have just dropped prices a pound or two as we’re into September.
Sep 2020
8:51pm, 4 Sep 2020
17,650 posts
  •  
Rosehip
£14 per night for me and tent and car, showers included in the lakes last week, roughly what I've been paying for high season without leccy for the last couple of years
Sep 2020
9:37pm, 4 Sep 2020
19,586 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
That's good to know. Looks like a trip South might be in order!
Sep 2020
8:54am, 5 Sep 2020
71,263 posts
  •  
Gobi
Van is in full day van mode today, we are off to the Peak District for the weekend , gravel ride today and I have a hill climb tomorrow. It is the my other halfs birthday so we are staying at a nice hotel this evening :¬)
Sep 2020
8:37pm, 5 Sep 2020
10,120 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
We have arrived in Abercastle and it is lovely.

All set up and sat around the campfire in the woods

Looking forward to exploring tomorrow

Sep 2020
8:39pm, 5 Sep 2020
19,601 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Looks lovely. :)
Sep 2020
8:48pm, 5 Sep 2020
10,121 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
It really is - we have the van and awning all set up and this lovely area for sitting in with the fire and all the wood you want.

Took a walk to the cove earlier and saw a seal 😁
Sep 2020
8:54pm, 5 Sep 2020
71,268 posts
  •  
Gobi
3 bikes and all the kit for 2 days away plus somewhere to change. I do love my van.

Sat here in my suite though I don't mind not sleeping in it :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...