Fetch Camper Vans

89 watchers
Aug 2022
10:59am, 7 Aug 2022
2,364 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I've got a canopy that turns into an awning. I often wonder at which point do they charge for an awning. Just the canopy? 1 side panel? Both sides and the front attached?

I therefore don't declare an awning if they want to charge for it as I might not even use it.
Aug 2022
11:33am, 7 Aug 2022
25,998 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Isn’t the awning charge a fee for a slightly bigger pitch - to allow for the 6m between units ‘fire break’ ? Either way, we don’t have one and have yet to be persuaded that two of us without a dog need one - do we?

(Van still on the driveway, getting really pissed off that we’re missing this weather. Do I stick to Brownhills or shall I suffer the cost of taking it to local garage, will phone Brownhagain on Monday and see what they say about their warranty- an extra one, the actual Fiat one has run out)
Aug 2022
11:44am, 7 Aug 2022
8,895 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
Awing fees aren’t standard which is a little frustrating. Some sites charge, others don’t, and some will class a wind-out sunshade as an awning and others don’t.
Aug 2022
1:39pm, 7 Aug 2022
1,228 posts
  •  
forest plodder
We have an awning (air one bought second hand) but would only take it for extra social side when camping with friends and staying in one place).
We do have a wind out fitted on the van and recently have found the shade useful!
Talking of keeping cool, we've just taken delivery of a USB fan, which seems quite effective
Aug 2022
1:39pm, 7 Aug 2022
1,229 posts
  •  
forest plodder
Aug 2022
4:32pm, 7 Aug 2022
3,423 posts
  •  
royal jelly
We’ve had to buy a card at the occasional site that cost £5, we are not ended up using half that over 2 nights!
Aug 2022
4:33pm, 7 Aug 2022
3,424 posts
  •  
royal jelly
For electricity! Although we now have a motor home I don’t think we use much electric! No tv!
Aug 2022
5:40pm, 7 Aug 2022
25,113 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Last time we stayed at a site that wanted extra for electricity I told the lady we’d just use battery and gas. She seemed quite put out! :)
Aug 2022
9:05am, 8 Aug 2022
14,091 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I've enjoyed all your posts guys, it's interesting to see the different things people do with their vans. We're currently in Mortonhall campsite in the outskirts of Edinburgh. What we've done this weekend illustrates what we got the campervan for, the freedom. We drove down to St Andrews for the parkrun on Saturday morning then drove to Anstruther for a walk on the Fife coastal path. After a lovely lunch we drove to Birnham for another walk and to visit the famous oak tree. Then on to the Ben Lawers car park. We have stayed in this car park before, and there were three other vehicles with folk doing the same. View out the van window:

The only noise was the wind whistling through the pop top! We have a portapotty and it was the first time our 14yo son had stayed somewhere without toilets but he was fine. I love waking up and going up a hill without a 2 hour drive beforehand. We were coming back down as most folk were going up.

After lunch in Killin we drove to Mortonhall and had a shower. We don't hook up to electricity as we have a solar panel and don't use much anyway. No TV for us. I recommend this campsite because we stayed for the fraction of the cost of a hotel in Edinburgh during the festival. We caught the number 11 bus which got us straight to the Usher Hall and watched a concert by the Philharmonia of Beethoven and Shostakovich. Had a great night's sleep, it was a very quiet campsite despite the size. Now debating a walk in the Pentlands before driving up the road.

Aug 2022
11:26am, 8 Aug 2022
2,365 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Sounds great Mrs s. I love Birnam.

About This Thread

Maintained by AntClark
Share the VW (or other) Camper Van love, which Fetchies have Campers? Can't beat a Camper for Race ...