Fetch Birdwatchers

1 lurker | 166 watchers
Apr 2021
11:14am, 13 Apr 2021
49,654 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’m going to try for a willow warbler later. Think I heard one yesterday but long way from certain. Still no hirundines
Apr 2021
12:17pm, 13 Apr 2021
113 posts
  •  
RooA
Looked out the window and thought "WTAF is that flying towards me?" It was round and white and heading right at the window...

Turned out to be a jackdaw with a beak full of Ellie-pony fluff heading for the chimney pot.

I'm not sure what I thought it was but I had a bit of a moment.
J2R
Apr 2021
5:37pm, 13 Apr 2021
3,553 posts
  •  
J2R
Reed bunting today. Although they're not summer visitors, I certainly notice them a lot more in spring and summer, and I almost think of them as spring arrivals. This one was my first of the year.

We have a 3 chamber sparrow box, but with no prospect of house sparrows using it, as they simply do not visit our garden at all, despite being numerous 3-400 metres away. Fortunately it doesn't go to waste and one of the chambers is this year again being used by great tits.
Apr 2021
6:09pm, 13 Apr 2021
49,657 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Blackcap singing beautifully today and I thought an influx of chiffs. My wife said, unprompted, ‘I’m not bothered about actually seeing the warblers. Hearing them is just great’ :-)
Apr 2021
11:41pm, 13 Apr 2021
72,391 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Looks like Back Robin is making a nest :)
Apr 2021
7:53am, 14 Apr 2021
31,699 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I heard a peregrine falcon calling from the church spire on Monday evening :-)
Apr 2021
7:54am, 14 Apr 2021
31,700 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
Also saw swallows and swifts at Rutland Peninsula on Sunday.
Apr 2021
8:38am, 14 Apr 2021
1,900 posts
  •  
bonners
More swallows, this time closer to home, also saw my first housemartin.

Also have seen where the little Egrets are nesting, is it called a heronry? What is interesting is that it is the same copse where most of the crows seem to be nesting. Will they happily coexist, or is it likely to get messy?
Apr 2021
8:28am, 15 Apr 2021
49,662 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Loads of willow warbler this morning plus a really stunning male bullfinch. Well worth getting up earlier and walking a bit further than usual
Apr 2021
8:34am, 15 Apr 2021
148 posts
  •  
RooA
I saw a pair of Chaffinches on my run yesterday. Was excited because I actually had an idea what they were (had to go look up to parse bullfinch vs chaffinch though... this is where my bird spotting skillz are at).

Then, very exciting, I heard the "buzzard mew" on our hack and actually saw the starling making the noise sitting on a neighbour's roof! So yes, it is a starling 100% confirmed.

Good curlew activity on the hack too. Far enough away from the road to not terrify the horse who has a strong dislike of curlews and wrens in particular.

Weather has turned a corner so hoping the swallows will be back here soon.

About This Thread

Maintained by AngelWings
Big Garden Birdwatch 26-28th January rspb.org.uk

BTO BirdTrack: blx1.bto.org

BirdTrack App: bto.org

BTO Website: bto.org

Website for identifying dragon & damselflies: british-dragonflies.org.uk