Fetch Birdwatchers

2 lurkers | 166 watchers
Apr 2021
11:34am, 12 Apr 2021
49,643 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Hann, treat it like a buffet ;-) Listen out for the familiar (blackbird, wren, robin, dunnock, then try to pick out the less familiar

I think I heard both willow warbler and blackcap earlier, but both reticent to get going properly
Apr 2021
12:11pm, 12 Apr 2021
82 posts
  •  
RooA
2 little brown jobs fluttering through the gorse on my run today. One could have been a female Yellowhammer. The other was too quick.

I need a guide to little brown feathery things.
Apr 2021
12:17pm, 12 Apr 2021
1,896 posts
  •  
bonners
Thanks again for all help on this thread, it is great for us novices to pick stuff up.

First willow warbler and first black cap for me today, both with a visual an sound spot. Considering that I've heard chiff chaff everywhere it is quite amusing that I've yet to see one.

I was convinced I'd heard the black cap, getting the Birdnet app out to try and record it, looked up and it was sitting in a piece of gorse not ten yards away!

Really pleased with both of those, perseverance and listening and listening pays off.

Two swallows perched on a telegraph line, same spot as last time, far easier to confirm with them nice and still.

No housemartins yet.
Apr 2021
12:41pm, 12 Apr 2021
49,644 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Chiffchaff are quite flighty and move their tails about quickly. It’s sometimes difficult to pinpoint where they are but the movement can help
Apr 2021
1:34pm, 12 Apr 2021
1,897 posts
  •  
bonners
And after all that.... just seen a chiffchaff in the garden 😃

Was trying to get a picture, but was very flighty as per DT's description above
Apr 2021
4:06pm, 12 Apr 2021
50,146 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I saw a few sand martins swooping around a cliff top this morning - too quick to get a pic.
Apr 2021
4:45pm, 12 Apr 2021
1,898 posts
  •  
bonners
Just been sat in the garden and the LTT pair are still coming in. Also had a wren in. Interesting to compare to the chiffchaff, if anything looks slightly bigger.

Also, forgot to mention, saw a parakeet on our walk this morning. Was very shocked. Have since read up and a couple have been spotted in North Wales. Thought it was just a London phenomenon.
Apr 2021
4:50pm, 12 Apr 2021
2,650 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Bonners I've heard reports that they're breeding at least as far north as Leeds. In Derbyshire they seem confined to Derby and its surrounds. Though we're only 18 miles north (and they've clearly passed us by on the way to Leeds?) I've never seen a report from anywhere rural. Maybe the slightly warmer urban environment is more to their taste?
Apr 2021
4:55pm, 12 Apr 2021
49,646 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’ve seen / heard them in the Pendle area, and there are resident birds by Mixenden reservoir north of Halifax (you pass within view on the full Yorkshireman)
Apr 2021
5:00pm, 12 Apr 2021
3,341 posts
  •  
phal
We have resident Parakeets by us in Coventry.

About This Thread

Maintained by AngelWings
Big Garden Birdwatch 26-28th January rspb.org.uk

BTO BirdTrack: blx1.bto.org

BirdTrack App: bto.org

BTO Website: bto.org

Website for identifying dragon & damselflies: british-dragonflies.org.uk