Fetch Birdwatchers

2 lurkers | 166 watchers
Nov 2020
3:01pm, 20 Nov 2020
98 posts
  •  
riggys99
Today’s run couldn’t have been more different weather and bird wise than yesterday’s . Went to Hartill Ponds/res a area of water about 3 miles in circumference.
Despite the water levels been down and plenty of mud I didn’t see any waders but at least one little egret. Shelduck and gadwell joined the usual mallards and tufted ducks. A few BH Gulls and a heron around the pond as well. The trees and fields around the lake produced fieldfare redwing and a nice selection of smaller birds including goldfinch looking far to bright for such a rainy day.
Nov 2020
11:14am, 21 Nov 2020
5,193 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Put sunflower seeds and mealworms out on the wheelie bin in the garden and may have a ‘resident’ blackbird. Saw him first thing this morning, then again when I got back from my run. And he’s there now, tucking in. This makes me so happy.

I think we need to look at getting a bird table.
Nov 2020
10:29am, 24 Nov 2020
108 posts
  •  
riggys99
Morning dog walk close views of buzzard,wren,goldfinch,chaffinch. BH Gulls in the fields and jackdaws overhead. 2 comerants heading towards the fishing pond
Nov 2020
10:53am, 24 Nov 2020
3,136 posts
  •  
phal
Goldcrest in the trees by the pond this morning on my walk 😀
Nov 2020
12:05pm, 24 Nov 2020
5,196 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Ooh goldcrest - how lovely phal :-) I have yet to see one of those.

Haven't seen the blackbird again. Last time I put more food out it was gobbled up by the fattest pigeon you ever saw.

Walked in the park yesterday and spotted lots of blue tits and either a wagtail or a long-tailed tit. It was the right shape, but I could only see it in silhouette, so couldn't get a better ID. Also saw 'Jackson', the crow with white patches on its tail.
J2R
Nov 2020
1:01pm, 24 Nov 2020
3,248 posts
  •  
J2R
Scribbler, goldcrests are so tiny that they can easily be missed. Listen out for a delicate seep-seep call in the trees above you, and see if you can spot a tiny little bird rapidly flitting around from place to place in a fidgety way, always on the move.

As to the long-tailed tit / wagtail distinction, LTTs are really much smaller, mousy little things. They're normally in bushes and trees, whereas pied wagtails are typically ground feeders.
Nov 2020
4:04pm, 24 Nov 2020
5,198 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Thanks JTR : -) The wagtail/tit was in scrubby trees close to the blue tits, and I did think it was quite small, so from what you say it probably was a long tailed tit.

I shall take some binoculars or my camera next time and hope to positively identify it. I haven't logged a long tailed tit yet, so it would be very pleasing to see one.
Nov 2020
4:15pm, 24 Nov 2020
3,139 posts
  •  
phal
We call Long Tailed Tits 'lollipop birds' because that's what they look like :-) little round bodies, long tail :-) I do love them :-) :-)
Nov 2020
5:00pm, 24 Nov 2020
47,852 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Great example of a bird you’re likely to hear before you see :-)
D2
Nov 2020
5:38pm, 24 Nov 2020
11,942 posts
  •  
D2
I spent far too long this morning watching a Dunnock having a fight with a dead leaf, the leaf didn't stand a chance. The Dunnock was being so ferocious that eventually I went out to check it was just a leaf that was being subjected to such treatment........ it was! :)

About This Thread

Maintained by AngelWings
Big Garden Birdwatch 26-28th January rspb.org.uk

BTO BirdTrack: blx1.bto.org

BirdTrack App: bto.org

BTO Website: bto.org

Website for identifying dragon & damselflies: british-dragonflies.org.uk