Feels like a pulled muscle under rib cage on left hand side. I am fed up at 4.59am cos it is sore :(

1 watcher
Mar 2012
1:26pm, 28 Mar 2012
12,265 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
It is potentially pleuritic pain. Pleuritic pain is caused by an inflammation of the lining of the lungs and can be due to any number of causes, but most are a simple viral infection that will self limit. If you have symptoms related to your lungs (cough, shortness of breath etc.) then get it checked out, but without these there is no reason to panic and the treatment will be much the same (painkillers and rest).

If you have pain on movement, that is not necessarily related to breathing (eg swinging your arm around) then it is almost certainly musculo skeletal.

Most importantly, dont panic.
Its not going to kill you.
Mar 2012
1:49pm, 28 Mar 2012
1,182 posts
  •  
JaneyM
Thanks JohnnyO, I have had pleuracy before and it doesn't feel the same as then. It doesn't hurt when I breathe at all, it is mostly movement. I have an appointment to see the doc this afternoon (and I think I have an appointment with one who is runner friendly if I remember rightly :)). Thanks for your advice. :)
Mar 2012
3:31pm, 28 Mar 2012
1,183 posts
  •  
JaneyM
JohnnyO, I went to the Docs and he was really good. After poking about to the point I hit the roof and he said "Oh it will be sore there then" :) He has sent me for an x-ray but is fairly certain that it is as you said musculo skeletal and pain killers and rest will help. I have therefore taken the difficult decision (for me) to not train for a week and rest it. I really want to be able to do my charity challenges this year so will give it a rest to let it recover.

Thanks for your advice. :)
Mar 2012
3:41pm, 28 Mar 2012
318 posts
  •  
Curly45
Hope you get it sorted Janey - I had a fractured rib after tons of coughing and had to go to A & E at 3am in the morning as I was in so much pain.

Result: strong painkillers, rest and 10 weeks before full recovery.

I am able to run now (5 or six weeks later), but still getting pain on stretching and when I exert myself with strenuous running or coughing. Sneezing is a really bugger! It really is awful but the painkillers do help provided they are strong enough. The worst thing for me was being out of breath walking!
Mar 2012
3:47pm, 28 Mar 2012
1,184 posts
  •  
JaneyM
Oh Curly45 mine is not as sore as all that. I broke two ribs a few years ago when I had pneumonia (lots of coughing) and that was absolute agony. The Doc said today that I would not have been able to let him poke about the way I did if it was fractured so he was fairly certain it was just a strain of some sort. x-ray just belt and braces. :) Thanks for thinking about me. :)
Mar 2012
3:49pm, 28 Mar 2012
11,715 posts
  •  
halfpint
Hope you're healed soon JaneyM.

I have a horrible bug at the moment and it really hurts to cough or sneeze today. It's very much muscular though. It's amazing the damage that can be done by something so simple :(
Mar 2012
4:00pm, 28 Mar 2012
1,185 posts
  •  
JaneyM
Thanks halfpint - feeling better now that I know it is probably just a strained muscle. :) Hope you feel better soon too :)
Mar 2012
10:17pm, 28 Mar 2012
1,922 posts
  •  
Manc Girl
I was doing CPR on the dummy at a first aid course and for the next week it hurt to breathe, laugh or lift anything ( God help me if I had to do it for real.....)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by JaneyM
I have had a sore side for a week now. It started off feeling like my whole lower back but now it ha...