"Feeling" a session 2 days later

2 watchers
Feb 2012
10:52pm, 18 Feb 2012
11,051 posts
  •  
DeeGee
In the past, I've run three times a week, Tues, Thurs and Sun.

For very valid training reasons I've upped that now to five runs a week, with Wednesday and Saturday off.

Also, in the past, I've been able to train with a day between sessions with no feeling of fatigue.

Currently, though, I feel Tuesday's session in my legs on the Thursday. Not so that it prevents me from going out, but in a way that I know that if I were to have to welly it I'd have difficulty maintaining a really high effort.

I'm figuring that this is a good thing, and that I wasn't really training hard enough before. At what stage should I begin to worry, though?
Feb 2012
11:00pm, 18 Feb 2012
169 posts
  •  
touche turtle
DG, noticed on your training you mention 'running carrying weight', whats that ? and is it something you have always done ?
Feb 2012
11:03pm, 18 Feb 2012
11,052 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Carrying weight's commuting with a backpack. I thought it was the most appropriate category to use - seeing as how I could potentially commute without one as the wife works where I do.

That's new this year - two of those a week to go up to five sessions. "Weight" being lunch and a change of clothes. Probably only a couple of kilos, but it matters. "Running" being at an easy pace.
Feb 2012
11:06pm, 18 Feb 2012
5,056 posts
  •  
Dvorak
When you are feeling it every session? There will be a period of adjustment (starting about three to four weeks in) and then hopefully you would come out of the other side. Also, I would feel it more if the third day of three was the hard day. Feeling it is more Thing than GT/BT, I reckon.
Feb 2012
11:11pm, 18 Feb 2012
170 posts
  •  
touche turtle
Ah sure thats ok, just I used to run occasionally with some ankle weights and was told in no uncertian terms to stop.

Not sure I can give advise about your five runs a week, I generally run 4 - 5 times a week throughout the year, currently marathon training but still sticking with 2 rest days but with considerably more mileage. Might be worth trying some form of protein to aid muscle recovery, I always have a goodness shake straight after a long run which I defo think is helping me.
Feb 2012
11:11pm, 18 Feb 2012
11,053 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Aha! Now the third day of three *is* the hard session!

I've been doing the Mon/Fri sessions for the best part of eight months, now, but this is the first time in a long while that I've managed proper consistency and Thursday has gone from a spin on a treadmill to an hour upwards.

I'm not uncomfortable. I figure that I'm feeling a bit like I did when I started out, and that that can only be a good thing in terms of getting stronger.
Feb 2012
11:19pm, 18 Feb 2012
3,364 posts
  •  
Kieren
Do you mean feeling this as in sore muscles or heavy legs?

If it;s the latter, you are probably endging into glycogen delpetion through the week and need to recover more, perhaps making one or more of the runs a recovery run rather than a hard run.

You can glycogen deplete over the course of a week and generally you wont run well one evening and the instinctive thing to do it try to run harder the next session to make up for the last bad run. Hard & easy or hard, hard easy works well imho
Feb 2012
10:58pm, 19 Feb 2012
11,061 posts
  •  
DeeGee
If I'm depleting glycogen, does that mean I can eat more crisps?

I run by feel, so the only way I know a session has genuinely be harder is by comparing distance/time. It's not every run, usually the Thursday one which is the newest development - a midweek medium-length run (supposedly).

I know I'll feel it tomorrow after 22 miles today, for instance. I'd just have hoped that after a recovery and then a session, then a day off, I'd have recovered by Thursday. Just sometimes the legs (no pain, not really something I could describe as heavy) don't go quite as quickly as I'd like.
Feb 2012
11:38am, 20 Feb 2012
71 posts
  •  
Plodder54
Dee Gee, I`ve just about completed a years running after being out for over five years with persistent achilles tendon problems . Even though I was a seasoned runner before the injury I was suffering with sore, stiff legs for a period of time after each run. What I have done to ease it and it has helped is increase my protein intake after a run, and I`ve done that in quite a simple way by drinking half a pint of milk. Also I`ll have an extra rest day if I`m feeling tired, I think the secret is you rule the running and dont let the running rule you .
Feb 2012
11:57am, 20 Feb 2012
11,064 posts
  •  
DeeGee
It seems like this is totally normal then, and I'm going to take it as a sign that I'm actually training properly for a change.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
In the past, I've run three times a week, Tues, Thurs and Sun.

For very valid training reasons I...