Feegles up your trousers

26 watchers
Dec 2021
9:26pm, 8 Dec 2021
8,618 posts
  •  
Raedolf the Rae nosed Raendeer
Oh, BTW, The Watch has just cropped up on one of the weird BBC channels we get out here but you don't get on the island - has anyone seen it already?

I gather Rhiannon P and Rob weren't too keen on it, but I feel like if it's viewed as 'inspired by' rather than an attempt at a really faithful reproduction, it might be quite fun?
Dec 2021
10:16pm, 8 Dec 2021
15,886 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I watched it a while back. It's been on t'iplayer for a while.

A mash up of various watch stories (mostly guards guards and night watch with some elements of men at arms) and some new bits

Not quite discworld though. The characterisations were wrong.

The sky adaption I watched (hogsfather?) was more faithful to the book, but made on a lower production budget.
Dec 2021
7:05am, 9 Dec 2021
4,536 posts
  •  
Elsie Too
I enjoyed the watch but agree with fozzy, it’s not discworld
Dec 2021
11:46am, 9 Dec 2021
6,560 posts
  •  
1step2far
Love that pic Rae!
Dec 2021
1:10pm, 9 Dec 2021
5,730 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
The Watch TV series is utterly bonkers. Even thinking of it not as Discworld or The Watch it bamboozled and annoyed me. Some completely surreal changes of scene and mood. A mix of very expensive looking locations with very cheap cardboard monster special effects (Detritus and the Librarian were particularly poor). And some really awful writing.

Shame as some of the casting such as the Patrician looked promising.

Overall I was sorry I wasted a few hours giving it a chance.
Dec 2021
2:00pm, 9 Dec 2021
3,847 posts
  •  
phal-la la la laaa la la la laaaaa
After LOTR being killed from my imagination by the films - my hobbits don't look like that, and now after watching the film I can't get mine back so easily - I'll be buggered if my versions of The Night Watch crew et al are being stolen as well.

Not been anywhere near it. Dad watched one and said it was All Wrong too.

Rhiannon was quite vitriolic about it on twitter.
Dec 2021
3:22pm, 9 Dec 2021
5,731 posts
  •  
TheScribbler
Steer well clear unless you want to shout at the telly then phal.

My OH spotted something about an abominable snowman on a TV ad and thought it had something to to with PTerry. I’m not aware of any such story, anyone else? Or has he got mixed up somewhere?
Dec 2021
3:33pm, 9 Dec 2021
156 posts
  •  
Marvin
radiotimes.com

Nothing to do with the discworld series if that's what you were hoping, based on one of his kids book. Not to say that it won't be fun. :)
Dec 2021
3:55pm, 9 Dec 2021
8,619 posts
  •  
Raedolf the Rae nosed Raendeer
The Hogfather is fab, fozz, it went straight into my traditional viewing canon and gets both rawatched and reread every year around now.

Going Postal was excellent, too, but I had some issues with The Colour of Magic, although I know that PTerry was directly involved in that one too.
Dec 2021
4:12pm, 9 Dec 2021
5,540 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I enjoyed all the Sky adaptations - I thought they were done very well, but must admit I only got ten minutes into The Watch before giving up

About This Thread

Maintained by Raemondo
I've searched in most of the ways I can think of, and I can't seem to find a Discworld/Pra...