Fast 10km Races in the North(ish)

2 watchers
Jan 2013
12:05pm, 18 Jan 2013
361 posts
  •  
DiscoSteve
Ha ha not Hale Barns, I'd have to enter another marathon to justify my increased training runs in that zone :-)
Jan 2013
12:09pm, 18 Jan 2013
295 posts
  •  
mushroom
That Greenway 10k took place in September last year Curly. I've never heard of it before but as I live fairly close I might put it in my diary for this year.
Jan 2013
1:31pm, 18 Jan 2013
368 posts
  •  
DiscoSteve
Wakefield Hospice 10k mid-April? Not done this one yet myself but am looking for a couple of races in April, this seems reasonably flat and not too expensive.
Jan 2013
1:35pm, 18 Jan 2013
32,396 posts
  •  
LorraineS
I just read the header looking for fast 10Ks in the North ;-)
Jan 2013
2:51pm, 18 Jan 2013
873 posts
  •  
monsenb1
I cant remember any sharp inclines anywhere Nelly, it had laps but slightly differing ones, and I wasn't far off a PB, which was nice as I didn't think I was anywhere near PB form beforehand. It started on the athletics track, so it would be easy to stand towards the front at the beginning.
Jan 2013
3:01pm, 18 Jan 2013
1,472 posts
  •  
Curly45
Mushroom - I've not done it myself, but by all accounts its good and you get a bookmark or some other naff memento!
Jan 2013
3:08pm, 18 Jan 2013
4,218 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Wakefield 10k is pretty fast - not perfectly flat, but slightly undulating upwards on the way out and downwards on the way back.

Rothwell 10k was quick - was cancelled last year and not sure if they're putting it on this year.

Salford 10k at Easter is flat and fast, but not very scenic.

Abbey Dash in Nov is the fastest 10k in the North of England. Closely followed by Ribble Valley I think. Then Dewsbury 10k.

Think there's also a flat 10k somewhere Sunderland way and there's one Humberside somewhere. Both of which a clubmate of mine has done (he always chases flat 10ks to run).
Jan 2013
3:16pm, 18 Jan 2013
1,340 posts
  •  
sLickster
There's Fradley 10k, just south of Derby, looks to be about 1hr 15 from Altringham. This is in mid-March, so could be a tune-up race. It's flat, 2 laps, and is where I did my PB. Usually 75ish people go sub-40. kpevents.net
Jan 2013
4:12pm, 18 Jan 2013
680 posts
  •  
Nelly
Thanks for the tips everyone. There's certainly a couple of races been mentioned that I'd not thought about that are worthy of consideration, in particular Abbey Dash (as my parents live in Leeds so the kids can see their grandparents).

I hope you don't take this personally Fozzy, but I find your list of "fastest 10k in the North of England" intriguing, similarly Curly saying "Dewsbury... is the best". In particular, when these are compared to my local 10k, the Trafford 10k in March. Maybe this is a race you have not come across, but I think it is certainly worthy of a mention in that list. I've done a bit of research and it showed that it had more finishers (by percentage of finishers) in each of the following categories, sub-30/35/40/45/50, than all three of the races listed, although obviously the Abbey Dash had more finishers in each category because it had 10 times more participants (apart from sub-30, as both had 7). Maybe it's just a race that those on this side of the Pennines quite well hidden from those of you on that side? ;-)

It looks like I need to get myself 10k PB in 7-weeks :-o
Jan 2013
4:26pm, 18 Jan 2013
1,475 posts
  •  
Curly45
Dewbury is awesome imo because its slightly up on the out and slight down on the return. I've never done Trafford, since I live in London :) I pick races by course rather than no. of people in x time range, but of course its a perfectly valid criterion to take into account!

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Can anyone recommend any 10ks to target that meet the following criteria?
- reasonable sized field at sub-40min pace,
- say between April and September,
- within about 1.5 hours drive of Altrincham,
- not extortionately expensive