Famous Alumni

16 watchers
Mar 2020
9:00am, 4 Mar 2020
1,519 posts
  •  
panad
Same time I was at MGGS DeeGee! Flashbacks of early 90s school discos at the boys’ school are now going through my head! :-)
Mar 2020
9:03am, 4 Mar 2020
1,590 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
Only ones I was aware of are the Eagle twins - Angela & Maria, Labour MPs and former ministers. Their younger brother was in my year - he was a dick.

Only other one according to Wikipedia is an actress I've never heard of - Stacey Roca

Slightly more impressively, Chris Chibnall (writer Broadchurch - Doctor Who) apparently went to the other school in town that my mother worked at forever.
Mar 2020
9:13am, 4 Mar 2020
378 posts
  •  
iRicey
Without looking it up my school's claim is that William Golding was an English teacher there and wrote his famous Lord of the Flies about the horrible kids who were his pupils.

There have been others, but from memory can claim Ralph Fienes, and two Richard Hills that played rugby for England (both the scrum half and the flanker)
Mar 2020
9:14am, 4 Mar 2020
2,181 posts
  •  
Fitz
My school doesn't have an alumni page on wikipedia, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. The only famous / infamous alumni that I'm aware of:

Nick Kamen - actor, singer, model. Starred in the "Grapevine" Levi's launderette ad in the 80s and had a couple of minor hits. His brother Chester is big in composing film soundtracks I believe.

Jackie Clune - actor and comedian. Most recently seen as the grumpy school secretary in Motherland... no idea where she got the inspo for that character :-)

Frank Ryan - silly twat who went off to join The 'Ra then came back and blew himself to bits while planting a bomb in St Albans.
Mar 2020
9:21am, 4 Mar 2020
2,112 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Kevin Anderson (tennis player)
Gavin Hood (Oscar winner for Best Foreign Language Film 2005)
Dave Matthews (of the band)
Michael Lumb (England cricketer)
Grant Elliott (New Zealand cricketer)
Kagiso Rabada (SA cricketer)
Mar 2020
9:31am, 4 Mar 2020
19,224 posts
  •  
DeeGee
You won't have spotted me there, panad! When there were girls there, I would generally hide in a corner and make myself as invisible as possible.

A trait that I haven't lost, even into middle age.
Mar 2020
9:33am, 4 Mar 2020
19,225 posts
  •  
DeeGee
William Golding also happened to be an English master at my alma mater, iRicey!
um
Mar 2020
9:42am, 4 Mar 2020
1,811 posts
  •  
um
I was just down the road from MGS - at SJWMS in Rochester. Thinking back, we beat MGS at tennis & cricket in my last 2 years there ...

Famous alumni, other then me? Only 3 I have heard of ...

David Garrick
Dr Ranj Singh
Matt Letley - his brother was in the same year as me and I saw some of their Sindelfingen shows/gigs.

Lots of others named on Wiki, none that I've heard of or would necessarily think of as famous, unless Bill Esterson is your MP.
Mar 2020
9:49am, 4 Mar 2020
1,020 posts
  •  
The great dollop
Just in the same attending years as I was at school, because the rest is too much to mention and I went to two secondary schools, and loughborough university has too many to list.

Stephen Hawking's son (the anonymous one) although his sister went out with a friend from school, Steven Mangan's Sister (same hair), A chap who at the time became the youngest bloke to carry the Flag at Trooping the colour, and Alistair Bruce-Ball "ABB" off the BBC radio5 commentary team, and I kicked Bianca Jagger out of a bar for drinking under age when I worked in the bar at christmas during the 6th form, she was at a local 6th form college.
Oh, and a producer of Love Island and Ant&Decs finale's abroad.
Mar 2020
9:54am, 4 Mar 2020
19,226 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Rochester Maths! Well I never! I had a couple of friends who went there at age 11 because the Medway schools had the 11+ and we didn't move until 13 at that time. My brother's friend would have been the year above Dr Ranj!

It's all 11+ now, of course.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ocelot Spleens
I just noticed a post from DeeGee on the politics thread, how posh I thought, and I wonder which fam...