Falkirk Victoria Harriers

35 watchers
Dec 2009
9:04pm, 17 Dec 2009
234 posts
  •  
Tizer
Okay, this one comes up alot so lets start here

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach
Dec 2009
9:07pm, 17 Dec 2009
23,556 posts
  •  
mxhornet
Scottish club I believe ;-)
Dec 2009
9:16pm, 17 Dec 2009
235 posts
  •  
Tizer
Yep, famous for the wheel and members that run too fast in training hence the first post :)
Dec 2009
9:33pm, 17 Dec 2009
23 posts
  •  
barryp
yeah, never run to what the schedule says...never mind. interesting post tizer my boy,
Dec 2009
9:35pm, 17 Dec 2009
24 posts
  •  
barryp
its amazing how he says the majority of athletes spend their time in this area, so what is it?
Dec 2009
9:40pm, 17 Dec 2009
3 posts
  •  
hyperboy
about bloody time we had a sight like this
Dec 2009
9:44pm, 17 Dec 2009
25 posts
  •  
barryp
lets bring bright and lively chit chat hyper. by this time tomorrow you will be calling everyone by there sweary name :)
Dec 2009
9:48pm, 17 Dec 2009
First-time poster!!
  •  
Elayne
So can you interpret what Matt Russ is meaning, as I am unsure? Is this related to the heart rate training?
Dec 2009
9:51pm, 17 Dec 2009
236 posts
  •  
Tizer
I don't know a great deal about the zones I guess it's saying that if you are running at 79% of hr max then it is not benefiting you any more than running at 72% as you are in the same aerobic zone. It would also leave you more tired for your next run. Guess the same can be said for the upper limits of any of the zones which is probably where the 'run slow to get fast' comes from
Dec 2009
10:01pm, 17 Dec 2009
237 posts
  •  
Tizer
Just in case anyones interested. It goes on a bit but it's pretty interesting

counterpartcoaching.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Tizer
Okay, this one comes up alot so lets start here

"The area between the top of the aerobic thresho...