factors except training that affect race performance, help needed

1 watcher
Jan 2012
9:12pm, 3 Jan 2012
45,695 posts
  •  
Gobi
Could I throw in the outrageous idea that you lack aerobic fitness. 5km running is not just about speedwork.
Jan 2012
9:15pm, 3 Jan 2012
12,309 posts
  •  
Hamsterboy
Strides sounds like a good idea, mic told me to do them in a warm up once,
i'll probably have a PB attempt at a parkrun once every month and treat the others as training runs,
as for a warm up, probably will not have time for all of what you do, and being younger would be sensible to do less:
one mile easy, half a mile 10k pace, and then 5 100m strides with the last two building to 800m pace like you said.
And i admit that my training hasn't been a complete block, and the training has been based around the parkruns, will now base it towards a longer term improvement rather than each week specifically towards each saturday.
Jan 2012
9:18pm, 3 Jan 2012
12,310 posts
  •  
Hamsterboy
with only a basic running and training knowledge, i get confused quite easily, sorry, aerobic fitness would be improved by longer runs? or....
Jan 2012
9:25pm, 3 Jan 2012
45,696 posts
  •  
Gobi
Steady miles - if 5km is the focus then no more than about 6 miles but at a easy/steady

Just looks like you did no base phase before doing speedwork.

I would suggest scrapping speedwork for about 4 weeks and actually just doing some base work.

20 or so miles a week of steady aerobic work and I bet you will run faster
Jan 2012
9:35pm, 3 Jan 2012
12,311 posts
  •  
Hamsterboy
I probably didn't include a base phase before speedwork giving the fact I've not heard of that term, I understand it may feel like you're trying to explain rocket science to a 7 year old here, and that it might be frustrating and once again I'm sorry, but would a base phase be just 4 weeks of easy runs without a time goal? Just simple runs and then once that has taken its course move onto speedwork?

and twenty miles may be a struggle as I'm used to 10 mile weeks, but I'm up for a challenge
Jan 2012
9:38pm, 3 Jan 2012
19,559 posts
  •  
Dave A
Base building: Easy miles Hamster. Go out and run at conversationish pace in simple terms. Finish a run feeling like you could run for another 10 minutes.
Jan 2012
9:40pm, 3 Jan 2012
12,312 posts
  •  
Hamsterboy
sounds like a plan :)
Jan 2012
9:56pm, 3 Jan 2012
45,697 posts
  •  
Gobi
Nice one Dave, well put

Hammy - good luck
Jan 2012
9:57pm, 3 Jan 2012
12,313 posts
  •  
Hamsterboy
Thankyou, very much appreciated :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hamsterbolt
I used to cut time off my 5k PB weekly at the parkrun but have recently come to a halt where I canno...