Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Extreme Supination - wearing out my shoes.

1 watcher
Aug 2012
10:08pm, 23 Aug 2012
595 posts
IanRunner
Hi everyone

I've been running for about five years now but in the past year or so I have started supinating and now quite severely. Basically the outside of my shoes are wearing out very quickly. I just got a new pair shoes (Adidas Boston) few weeks ago and they will be lucky to last me a couple of hundred miles.

Any suggestions to what I have gradually started to do to cause this and any suggestions to what I could do to resolve it?

Thanks

Ian
Aug 2012
11:58pm, 23 Aug 2012
231 posts
old mum
Not sure if this is any help, but I run in Bostons depite being a heavy over pronator and having gone through the gammut of support shoes only to end up severely injured (requiring three years of physio). Given that I use them as a neutral whilst over pronating, could you be in the wrong shoe? Or could there be something about them that is causing you to supinate? Seems odd that whilst we have opposing gaits, and in theory you're wearing the right shoe, we're running in the same shoe and you're having problems but I'm not. Dunno, maybe completely off track, you're way more knowledgable about these things than I tbh, but thought it might give you a train of thought.

I'm still a firm believer that gait changes naturally over time due to physical factors such as weight/age/time on feet.
Aug 2012
10:46am, 27 Aug 2012
152 posts
catrina
IanRunner - I have the same problem. Some shoes last longer than others, but in general they all wear out along the outside very fast. I just live with it and replace them every 300 - 350 miles. I tend to find that even with the soles worn out, I still get enough cushioning to wear the shoes.

I have switched to lightweight trainers (Brooks Launch) which I find better for the problem, and also less expensive to replace. I get 300 miles on these easily without too much wear and tear on the outside of the sole.

It's weird that you didn't have this problem before. Maybe you're over-compensating for another injury somewhere else?

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by IanRunner
Hi everyone

I've been running for about five years now but in the past year or so I have started...