Excersise induced Nausea

7 watchers
Apr 2012
2:30pm, 25 Apr 2012
4,582 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Another person (like myself ) with caffeine problems. Ok I have an alternative solution to help get the "flow" on the morning of races, have a drink and then 5-10 minutes later, lie prone, and with your hands beside you, raise your legs to slowly horizontal position, (without bending) , so now you are a right angle, and then lower gently back down to flat, but so they aren't quite touching the ground,- repeat 40-70 times. It's a core strengthening exercise, but it has these useful side effects.
Apr 2012
2:31pm, 25 Apr 2012
41,410 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
You must havre a core of steel Chris

I couldnt do that 20 times!
Apr 2012
2:36pm, 25 Apr 2012
2,482 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
There's no way I could do that Chris - My legs don't go horizontal (my Yoga teacher can verify this!), and like Hipps, I don't think I could do that many. Plus I'd be extremely wary of doing something like that before a big race - even a short race, never mind a marathon.

I think the pre-race constipation is a stress/nervous induced reaction, and instead of treating the symptoms, I need to treat the cause. This exacerbates the feeling of nausea, which leads to vomiting earlier I think. Although, beyond seeing a sports psychologist (expensive!), I'm not sure what I can do about it.
Apr 2012
2:54pm, 25 Apr 2012
4,584 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I've built it up from 20, I must admit. And yes I am wary before big races, but sometimes if there's the threat of constipation, it's better than being caught short in a race.

Pre-race nerves - meditational/breathing kind of exercises? Positive visualisations? I had an email through to my club web site for hypnotherapy sessions, but I've know of no-one who'd ever tried it.
Apr 2012
3:23pm, 25 Apr 2012
41,412 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Fozzy

id ask your Yoga teacher about relaxation techniques
Apr 2012
3:42pm, 25 Apr 2012
12,563 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Yep. Antacids can cause squits and cramps. Migfht help you if your problems are top end, but mine are bottom end and I have learnt to avoid them (I take them on occasion for mild gastritis).
Apr 2012
9:19pm, 25 Apr 2012
1,258 posts
  •  
PenW
If stress or nerves are a problem then relaxation techniques may well help, however I think it would be really important to practise them and get them into a routine that you use every time you run so that you get into the habit of using them and can get the most benefit from them (this is the type of thing elite athletes do, so for example Michael phelps uses a calming and visualisation routine that he has rehearsed until he can do it without thought). Relaxation techniques used here and there can help but in my experience, unless someone is well practised at a particular technique, then when they are the most anxious and in need of them they are the hardest to use.

So stuff like relaxed breathing, developing positive visualisations etc are all good. You need to strike the balance between calm/not too stressed but with enough ooopmh to race!

*NB am NOT a sports psychologist! (but am a psychologist)
Apr 2012
11:01am, 27 Apr 2012
2,487 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Got some Zanprol yesterday. Trying it today to see if there are any unforeseen side-effects and if not, will see if it makes a difference on the race.
lak
May 2012
12:52pm, 7 May 2012
93 posts
  •  
lak
I did marathons 2008-2010 at first loose bowels around mile 20 was the problem. Gradually that went mainly by nerves completely emtpying me proir t races. Was good for a while then as i got fitter could run harder in last mile and consequently always vomited imeidaltley crossing finishing line.

Omeparzole - PPI very interesting as I had major health issues my bloods were monitored for other reasons. As my mileage went up my HB fell, not to anaemic values just lower for me went on omeprazole first( lanzoprazole causes wind and diaorhea not great for running) I certainly was not aware of bleeding but once on a ppi my HB went back up as did my iron stores. The stresses of marathon training are considerable and probably all marathon runners would benefit from PPIs - of course along with altitude training etc.

Omeprazole gave me headaches ended up on esomeprazole which suited me fine.

Cimetidine was a drug just discovered when I qualified - a long time ago it revolutionised peptic ulcer disease but is a very dirty drug and there are far better drugs. PPI s are not without problems but would feel they are better than H2 blockers I personally feel Ranitidine causes lest liver issues than cimetidine (man boobs etc).

If i have lucozade sport while running I vomt Power gels are ok.

Coffee always gets me going before my runs.

If Fozzy consitpation is a problem what about glycerin suppostiory am before race to empty rectum?

Penw yes I do relaxation technique had to learn it lieing down but now can do it anywhere very good with nerves pain and sometimes when My MRIs have take a couple of hours I have fallen fast asleep despite the noise.
Jul 2016
1:43pm, 17 Jul 2016
11,935 posts
  •  
Dvorak
How are things on the exercise induced nausea front?

I had a bit on holiday - though I know exactly what caused it. Trying to run uphill in very warm temperature. Severe dry boak. It's happened before and thinking on it, seems not to be an intestinal thing as such, but my body taking an urgent measure to cut off an excessive effort level. Once I had reached the top (by walking) it was all fine.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
I've been having a search around the interweb after my disaster on Sunday, and it seems that what I...