Excersise induced Nausea

7 watchers
Apr 2012
1:57pm, 24 Apr 2012
2,452 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I've been having a search around the interweb after my disaster on Sunday, and it seems that what I experience is a strong form of exercise-induced Nausea. Basically this means when I push hard for long times (over 2hrs), I start feeling unwell and end up being sick, at which point my race is over.

This doesn't happen during training runs, only races, and only during races over about 30k/2hrs (ish). It also seems to be somewhat dependent on the temperature of the day (warmer = much worse). It also seems to get much worse if I get constipated before races (generally this is due to nerves).

One thing I am going to try is to eat more during my next long runs/races - it could be that my stomach doesn't react well to being empty.

Does anyone else get this? Is there anything I could do/try to get round this problem?

Please don't be facetious and suggest running slower. This isn't going to happen, because when I race, I race and I'm not going to do 23 marathons just to find out what pace I can hit without throwing up.
Apr 2012
2:08pm, 24 Apr 2012
41,323 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
*lurk*

In the last year, I have also started to get this(in addition to lower gut issues).Eating aint an option (i am doing marathons on virtually no fuel at all now)

One of my marathon friends uses antacids (omeprazole) which helps

I reckon the guts know when you are pushing too hard and rebel
The additional stress of a race can be one step too far
Apr 2012
2:09pm, 24 Apr 2012
21,099 posts
  •  
Nellers
Fozzy, I have limited experience but my one and only marathon last year was a hot day and I struggled to keep anything other than water down after about 16 miles, so a bit beyond 2 hours. I'd had no problems in training and hadn't changed anything except the pace but I couldn't stomach anything.

It's the only time I've had the problem though so I don't know if it was a one-off or a long-term issue.

I know that's not much help but I'm hoping someone else might have something useful to tell us.
Apr 2012
2:15pm, 24 Apr 2012
2,454 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I've had this on 5 occasions now, so I know it's not an isolated incident.

First was a 20mile race in 2010, where it was warm and humid and I was undertrained. I finished in about 2hrs31min without being ill, but was violently ill for about an hour after the race (about 30-45mins afterwards).
Second was after a 21mile fell race in 2011 (in Feb) - it was cold, but wore my jacket for most of the race and I know I didn't eat or drink enough on this one. Again I got round after struggling towards the end, but was sick afterwards.
I also got it last year during both the 3P fell race and the Lakeland trails marathon, both were quite warm (the latter definitely so), and I was definitely undertrained for both.

This year, I did the same 21mile fell race as in 2011 without problems (and much quicker), and also did the Belvoir 26 without issue. I've not had any problems at all in training during my build-up, and I didn't change anything for my marathon on sunday.

Perhaps the most worrying thing is that it always seems to be about the same time it kicks in - between 2hrs 15 and 2hrs 30 (ish)
Apr 2012
2:20pm, 24 Apr 2012
2,455 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Nerves before the start also seem to be a big factor - not being able to go to the toilet doesn't help, as it means my intestines are carrying all that extra material around, and it seems to start here before progressing up to the stomach due to the way that my bowels go ischemic when running for long times at high intensity.

One thing that has been suggested is to use an anti-spasmodic? Anyone used these? What do they do?
Apr 2012
2:36pm, 24 Apr 2012
41,329 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Given that gut and brain neuro transmittes overlap quite a bit, that makes sense, though not sure what you do about it

An anti spasmodic wouldnt stop the gut ischaemia caused by hard running, sadly

Have you tried strong coffee to make you "go" before the race

Also worth looking at your diet the night before
Apr 2012
2:43pm, 24 Apr 2012
2,457 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yes, PH, that's one of the things I'm going to try for my race on sat - not going to have pasta or rice, and have potato instead - I find that easier to digest, but of course you have to eat more to get the same amount of carbohydrate into your system. This is just in case there's a bit of gluten intolerance.

Unfortunately me and coffee don't get on well. I don't like the taste anyway, and it makes me very jittery. Even in drinking it in a morning, I sometimes find it affects my sleep patterns that evening. I therefore try and stay away. I do drink buckets of tea though, and always have a cup or two before a race/long run.

One obvious solution might be to use a laxative, but this would not be a great idea I think.
Apr 2012
2:46pm, 24 Apr 2012
546 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Given your last comment, do you think there may be a psychosymatic (sp?) element and you're becoming hyper aware in a way that's exacerbating a problem. I know there is an element of that in my gut issue, and only a slight discomfort can quickly become worse. Though I accept that this may be difficult to correct.

With respect to your first post on an empty/full stomach, I've suffered nausea on runs (though generally shorter ones - it calms down beyond about

10miles) if my stomach is empty. It's not reached the point of wanting to vomit (partly because there is nothing in there to bring up) but I can find stomach acid feels like it's burning and only a small quantity of stodge and fat helps (I find a small edam roll a wonder for easing things). Until it is calm, sugary food is a definite no.
Apr 2012
2:47pm, 24 Apr 2012
41,332 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
*shudders at the thought of a laxative*

I have to take immodium

I avoid pasta and dairy the night before
Apr 2012
2:49pm, 24 Apr 2012
13,888 posts
  •  
Stumpy
as well as carb loading, do you take in enough fluid? i know that race nerves affect people and their guts differently, but would increasing fluid intake a couple of days before help bulk it out a bit, lessening constipation?

equally, for some, increasing fruit and veg will speed things through, for others it increases the prob (depending on what fruit and veg)

i am sure you have considered these things, but if not, was worth mentioning?

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
I've been having a search around the interweb after my disaster on Sunday, and it seems that what I...