Eureka! Look what I figured out

61 watchers
Nov 2020
8:27pm, 26 Nov 2020
70,194 posts
  •  
swittle
[When 'tin cans' were very new [19th cent.], the main hazard was from poisoning by the lead used to solder on the lids. :-o ]
Nov 2020
9:12pm, 26 Nov 2020
35,040 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Was always bought up knowing once you open a tin its contents should be emptied in a non metalic container. Didn't know times had changed
Dec 2020
12:17pm, 10 Dec 2020
2,159 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grinch
You don't *have* to fill up a kettle/pan with cold water. I always have and I probably always will :-)
Dec 2020
1:31pm, 10 Dec 2020
25,147 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Needs more detail :-) I know that you should only do either if you want a cup of tea or to boil something... but what refinement have you discovered? That it doesn’t need to be cold, or that it doesn’t need to be filled? :-)
Dec 2020
1:40pm, 10 Dec 2020
4,861 posts
  •  
Merry Fizzmas :-)
Oh no. Can’t use hot water. I’m sure Anglian Water website used to say cold/mains water only for cooking.
Dec 2020
2:11pm, 10 Dec 2020
13,138 posts
  •  
Badger
If your hot water stands anywhere then you shouldn't drink it. I think the system we have which heats water by exchange with a hot tank would probably be safe, but it produces such tiny amounts that I wouldn't waste it that way anyway.
Dec 2020
2:21pm, 10 Dec 2020
7,437 posts
  •  
Fragile Glass Bauble
Or maybe he’s suggesting you don’t have to fill a kettle up with water ;)
Dec 2020
2:46pm, 10 Dec 2020
12,959 posts
  •  
❄larkim❄
Houses with combi boilers can pretty safely assume hot water is as consumable as cold is, after all the only difference between the hot and the cold is that the hot gets heated on the way to the tap. For small amounts may not be efficient due to length of pipes involved etc though.
Dec 2020
3:58pm, 10 Dec 2020
2,163 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grinch
Well, you are boiling it anyway... but the point was that you can use warm water e.g. from the kettle in pans or just from the hot tap, but I'm sure at some point I was told to use cold. Both are boiled so not sure what the difference would be anyway?! (in Terms of killing any nasties)
Dec 2020
4:14pm, 10 Dec 2020
13,140 posts
  •  
Badger
From the kettle is fine. Older hot water systems pre-combi boilers tend to be standing for a long time in tanks where there can be any amount of rust and sediment - so you could be looking at toxins rather than bugs; hot water can leach contaminants out of pipes more efficiently than cold.
If you live somewhere with a water tank in the loft, they're often not sealed and it's not that uncommon to find dead birds in them, and the risk is again more toxins than bugs.

That said, you should boil water for a minute or so to sterilise it, and that might happen when you're cooking but your kettle switches off a lot faster than that.

About This Thread

Maintained by Groundhog
Really useful or really obvious but I figured this out all but myself.

Like, when I get out of t...