Etape Caledonia

2 watchers
May 2016
10:32am, 4 May 2016
3,269 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Now that I've learned to spell Etape... anybody doing this this weekend :) I'm a bit nervous as I'm unlikely to maintain the cut off speed but going to start as far forward as I can and do my best!!
May 2016
2:43pm, 4 May 2016
25,610 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The guy sitting beside me at work. But that probably doesn't help you. Best of luck, hope weather holds for you Smiler. x :-) G
May 2016
2:55pm, 4 May 2016
3,271 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
hah thanks Happy. tell him if he sees me crying at the side of the road to be nice :P
May 2016
5:58pm, 4 May 2016
4,474 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
Not doing it but as a tip make sure you ride at your pace for the first hour and try to avoid setting off too fast. Eat and drink regularly after that first hour every 20 minutes to maintain your energy levels. Have fun
May 2016
8:25pm, 4 May 2016
1,782 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Why do roads need to be closed ?

THis is not a rolling road closure, but a multiple hour closure.

Iis it acceptable to force people to be housebound for hours at a time just so that a load of cyclists can have fun on a bike ?

Note, this is not similar to a city running marathon where residents can park their cars close by and walk to them. On this type of event then people living in the country have no other option than to sit in their house when they may have needs to get out and about.

Don't agree with this - if they want an event on quiet country roads which these are then they should co-exist with the traffic
May 2016
9:29pm, 4 May 2016
8,147 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I did the Sportive Kinross last Saturday, 70 miles with 2 serious climbs, having never done any sort of biking event before and no serious biking training. I'd agree with what has been said about taking on fuel regularly and I found that gels had a much better effect on me on the bike than they ever had in a marathon, in terms of lifting my energy levels. Good luck.
May 2016
9:43pm, 4 May 2016
3,272 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Thanks SOAPM and Dai. I would say I'm unlikely to set off too fast but I know I'm worried about that cut off so there's a good chance I will!
May 2016
12:48pm, 9 May 2016
220 posts
  •  
Ulric
How did you get on? Bit of a wind from the E down here which may have blown folks along deceptively at first if it was the same up there.

Lovely course but I would rather ride it on my own and enjoy the scenery.
May 2016
1:45pm, 9 May 2016
3,275 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
I survived :) really enjoyed it! I was fairly on my own for some of it but enjoyed the camaraderie too. My moving time was just under the cut off time; with food stops I was over it but started early enough that I avoided the sweeper! A massive achievement for me and would do it again. Thanks for asking :)
May 2016
10:28am, 17 May 2016
8,154 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Well done :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Metro_Nome
Now that I've learned to spell Etape... anybody doing this this weekend :) I'm a bit nervous as I...