Enriching stuff to read, listen to or watch :-)

10 watchers
Apr 2022
11:17am, 12 Apr 2022
42,035 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'm looking forward to rest of series - heard half of episode 2 in radio in car, so going to pick it up on BBC Sounds and start from beginning.

Wonder why science fiction fans would object to the expression sci-fi? I have seen SF used as well, and just thought it was texting short hand. I thought sci-fi came from hi-fi (high fidelity audio systems in the 50s or 60s?) :-) G
Apr 2022
2:49pm, 12 Apr 2022
85,718 posts
  •  
swittle
HappyG(rrr) :) G - it wasn't a big deal, iirc, more a question of applying the label that suited most enthusiasts the best. The discussion on the origin & development of the word, 'robot' was equally detailed.
Apr 2022
3:43pm, 12 Apr 2022
42,041 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks swittle - yes, amazing how we use robot now in so many senses, but it's 100 years old (almost exactly - 1921?). Comes from Robota, meaning labour in Czech, I believe. :-) G
Apr 2022
3:46pm, 12 Apr 2022
85,719 posts
  •  
swittle
Quite so, HappyG(rrr) 'Cyber-' as a prefix came up in the discussion, as well as how meanings had been adapted and altered - as is currently the case. New tech, new terms :)
Apr 2022
3:24pm, 13 Apr 2022
42,055 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Didn't realise it was only 2 Episodes. Was hoping I had stumbled into part 2 of many, but it was 2 of 2! :-( Oh well, got to listen to 1, then 2. It's hilarious and almost more shocking because of the comic, camp way the stark material was presented. I wonder if that's how it was first written and envisaged in the original play?! :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hiya
There are a few good podcast threads, loads of good book ones and a great movie review thread here in Fetch.

This is not for "entertainment" but for informative (which might still be entertaining!) radio (podcasts), books, articles, websites/blogs, films etc.

Up to you what you think is "informative" - one person's Marxist utopia is another person's communist nightmare! I'm assuming a discerning readership, who can choose to not follow a link if they don't want to!

Title - - Link or Location - - Description
Reith Lecture on AI - - bbc.co.uk - - Fascinating, always loved the Reith lectures, this one particularly good!
BBC Royal Institution Lectures - - bbc.co.uk - - For kids, but I love it too
13 Minutes to the Moon - - bbc.co.uk - - The Apollo 11 moon story, with real audio 12 x 1 hour. 2nd series on Apollo 13 disaster

Please add!! :-)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.