Enriching stuff to read, listen to or watch :-)

10 watchers
Dec 2021
4:47pm, 24 Dec 2021
3,855 posts
  •  
SsH-tille Nacht
The “things fell apart” podcast with Jon Ronson has been interesting
Dec 2021
4:48pm, 24 Dec 2021
82,187 posts
  •  
swittle
^ +1 He has an unusual and engaging style of presentation.
Dec 2021
5:41pm, 24 Dec 2021
3,856 posts
  •  
SsH-tille Nacht
Yes I’ve really enjoyed listening to lots of things he's done. You might still be able to get the last days of august as a podcast too. And his book so you’ve been publicly shamed is fascinating.
Dec 2021
9:01pm, 24 Dec 2021
40,631 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Brilliant suggestions guys. Please provide links where possible and I'll add to sidebar. Happy Christmas all! :-) G
Dec 2021
8:02pm, 26 Dec 2021
1,895 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
bbc.co.uk

The Horatio Clare Ben Nevis sounds link.

This fantastic. I recommend you get a drink, a comfy chair, close your eyes and immerse yourself in this beautiful piece of gentle spoken word.

I also recommend podcasts.apple.com Bob Graham Sounds about a bloke training for then doing the Bob. Gets a bit waffly half way through but recommend listening to the attempt although there are flash backs so listening all the way through will add context.
Dec 2021
8:16pm, 26 Dec 2021
8,906 posts
  •  
GordonG
a couple of podcasts via BBC Sounds:
More or Less: behind the stats. short and sharp podcast that puts screamy, tabloid headlines into perspective.
You're Dead to Me: lots of info about famous people from history that probably most of us don't know.
Dec 2021
10:49pm, 28 Dec 2021
40,649 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Great suggestions all. Keep em coming. Wiyh links if poss. :-) G
Apr 2022
4:33pm, 11 Apr 2022
42,022 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sharing my own !

bbc.co.uk

Any other sci-fi nerds out there? Rossums Univeral Robots been made into a Radio 4 series - and it's a musical?! (1924 Czech sci fi play by Karel Capek) considered to have introduced the word Robot into English.

It's brilliant. Bonkers, but brilliant.
Apr 2022
8:56pm, 11 Apr 2022
3,062 posts
  •  
panad
That looks really good HappyG - I’m off to download it 😁
Apr 2022
11:44pm, 11 Apr 2022
85,704 posts
  •  
swittle
For SF devotees, BBC Radio 4s 'Word of Mouth' tonight looked at the language & vocabulary of science fiction. Michael Rosen is skilled at opening up niche subjects to the general listener. What caught my ear was one guest suggesting that the term 'sci fi' was rather derogatory amongst fans, SF being preferred!
[Previously broadcast Aug. 2019.]

bbc.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hiya
There are a few good podcast threads, loads of good book ones and a great movie review thread here in Fetch.

This is not for "entertainment" but for informative (which might still be entertaining!) radio (podcasts), books, articles, websites/blogs, films etc.

Up to you what you think is "informative" - one person's Marxist utopia is another person's communist nightmare! I'm assuming a discerning readership, who can choose to not follow a link if they don't want to!

Title - - Link or Location - - Description
Reith Lecture on AI - - bbc.co.uk - - Fascinating, always loved the Reith lectures, this one particularly good!
BBC Royal Institution Lectures - - bbc.co.uk - - For kids, but I love it too
13 Minutes to the Moon - - bbc.co.uk - - The Apollo 11 moon story, with real audio 12 x 1 hour. 2nd series on Apollo 13 disaster

Please add!! :-)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.