Enriching stuff to read, listen to or watch :-)

10 watchers
Dec 2021
10:28am, 22 Dec 2021
40,610 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Hiya
There are a few good podcast threads, loads of good book ones and a great movie review thread here in Fetch.

This is not for "entertainment" but for informative (which might still be entertaining!) radio (podcasts), books, articles, websites/blogs, films etc.

Up to you what you think is "informative" - one person's Marxist utopia is another person's communist night! I'm assuming a discerning readership!

I listen to BBC radio quite a lot, so many of mine might be from there. But I now others consume YouTube, academic journals, newspapers etc. which I might otherwise never hear of.

Title - - Link or Location - - Description

Reith Lecture on AI - - bbc.co.uk - - Fascinating, always loved the Reith lectures, this one particularly good!
BBC Royal Institution Lectures - - bbc.co.uk - - For kids, but I love it too
13 Minutes to the Moon - - bbc.co.uk - - The Apollo 11 moon story, with real audio 12 x 1 hour

Any suggestions gratefully received. I love listening, reading or watching over Christmas hols. Ho, ho, ho! :-) G
Dec 2021
10:33am, 22 Dec 2021
40,611 posts
  •  
Slightly better formatting (when are tables coming to Fetch formatting?! ;-) )

Reith Lecture on AI - - bbc.co.uk - - Fascinating, always loved the Reith lectures, this one particularly good!
13 Minutes to the Moon - - bbc.co.uk - - The Apollo 11 moon story, with real audio 12 x 1 hour. 2nd series on Apollo 13 disaster
Dec 2021
3:29pm, 23 Dec 2021
40,626 posts
  •  
No? Not wanting to share learning media?! Oh well! Just listening to Radio 4, In Our Time and three learned folk talking about The Hittites. I'm often astonished at how much I don't know! :-) G
Dec 2021
3:48pm, 23 Dec 2021
29,896 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Oh I do love the Christmas RI Lectures
Dec 2021
4:02pm, 23 Dec 2021
40,627 posts
  •  
Any suggestions of your own, EP? All gratefully received! :-) G
Dec 2021
4:06pm, 23 Dec 2021
29,898 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I'm a bit of a bookworm and read more than listen
my listening is audio books
but do like the History Channel stuff on the world wars
Dec 2021
4:22pm, 24 Dec 2021
82,180 posts
  •  
swittle
'The Last Igloo' (1:28:41) Compelling film about a way of life under serious threat from climate change. Starkly beautiful, a fascinating 'day in the life' of a solo Greenlandic Inuit as he hunts, fishes and constructs an igloo with just a scraper and long knife. 'Slow' television at its best: sparse commentary in Kalaallisut, with subtitles.

BBC4, 23 Dec. 2021; first shown Christmas Eve, 2019.

bbc.co.uk
Dec 2021
4:23pm, 24 Dec 2021
82,181 posts
  •  
swittle
HappyG(rrr) What were just names in the Bible to me were brought to life in that 'In Our Time' prog. :)
Dec 2021
4:36pm, 24 Dec 2021
1,890 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
spectator.co.uk Looks like the four peaks sound walk will be good from tomorrow
Dec 2021
4:46pm, 24 Dec 2021
82,186 posts
  •  
swittle
Richly descriptive writing ^ :)

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hiya
There are a few good podcast threads, loads of good book ones and a great movie review thread here in Fetch.

This is not for "entertainment" but for informative (which might still be entertaining!) radio (podcasts), books, articles, websites/blogs, films etc.

Up to you what you think is "informative" - one person's Marxist utopia is another person's communist nightmare! I'm assuming a discerning readership, who can choose to not follow a link if they don't want to!

13 Minutes to the Moon - - bbc.co.uk - - The Apollo 11 moon story, with real audio 12 x 1 hour. 2nd series on Apollo 13 disaster

Please add!! :-)

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.