English Half Marathon ( Warrington)

7 watchers
Sep 2019
9:35pm, 9 Sep 2019
11,581 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
I’ve received an email from the organisers to say this race weekend has been postponed for safety reasons.

Has anyone else heard the same?
Sep 2019
9:43pm, 9 Sep 2019
14,013 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Yep - although not entered this year I am still on the mailing list and they seem to sending it far and wide. It's also on the Warrington Guardian website. I don't know anymore than the official line - I might pick up a bit of information at club training tomorrow (I am local to Warrington) - in which case I will pass it on. I know the organisers pride themselves on the event, so can't imagine it's been an easy decision.
Sep 2019
9:46pm, 9 Sep 2019
11,582 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
I’m sure they have very good reasons as it looks like quite a large event.
Sep 2019
9:48pm, 9 Sep 2019
14,014 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
It is - a weekend of running events, well-supported by the town :(
Sep 2019
10:26pm, 9 Sep 2019
8,598 posts
  •  
larkim
That’s a surprise, its a well established race. Interested to hear of the reason, not something they’d do lightly. Lots of disrupted plans though.
Sep 2019
10:30pm, 9 Sep 2019
8,599 posts
  •  
larkim
It’s on their facebook page too. Suffice to say, not a lot of happy campers there.
Sep 2019
10:32pm, 9 Sep 2019
353 posts
  •  
roberton
I got the email too. As AL says, on the local news websites but they are just quoting the email. And the EHM website is the same too.

Very interested to find out what the problem is.

I'm entered but personally I'm ok it being delayed (but see later). I'm doing the Chester Marathon three weeks later so I'd actually rather get my last loooooong run in. I was going to try and do half a dozen miles and then the half, but didn't have much confidence about that!

But I'm in an unusual position. There will be thousands, many thousands, of people who will be gutted about this. And I'm sceptical about them managing to run it later this year. If you try to avoid December (proper winter, dark, xmas) then that's not a lot of time to sort something... Fingers crossed though.
Sep 2019
10:43pm, 9 Sep 2019
11,583 posts
  •  
UltraDunc
I’m looking at something else to do next Sunday and I can’t see this event being scheduled in before the year end.
Sep 2019
9:44am, 10 Sep 2019
1,337 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Looks like the parent company (Motiv Sports) is being struck off as of July and the sole director has a number of companies that are in a similar situation with late accounts. I suspect the real reason is likely to be financial not safety.
Sep 2019
1:02pm, 10 Sep 2019
8,605 posts
  •  
larkim
I think Motiv Sports left the organisation last year, this year it is organised by a different setup (I may be wrong about that).

It's a fairly big disaster to have to call it off with 6 days to go with lots of people out of pocket in terms of hotels / transport etc. I'm sure not a decision they took lightly, and hopefully they made the decision at the right time (i.e. didn't delay once they realised it wasn't going to be happening). They *may* have had some security warning that they needed to take note of, or maybe simply got the budget wrong and ran into financial problems. Lots of speculation at the moment, they've promised an update by 5pm on Thursday.

About This Thread

Maintained by UltraDunc
I’ve received an email from the organisers to say this race weekend has been postponed for safety ...