Energy powder

2 watchers
Jul 2012
9:02am, 3 Jul 2012
12,233 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Though I believe Amphetamines and Cocaine are banned by the IAAF ;-)

When I last flew abroad for a marathon I took some sachets of Lucozade Body Fuel with me so I could be sure of the availability of my preferred energy drink (can't take many fluids on the plane, see).

It would appear that this is discontinued.

I've had a wee discussion on the book of Face last night about methods of transporting the powder in tubs in single serving portions, but it's not quite ideal for the purpose I need it for (and if I were flying, I wouldn't want to cary little wraps of powder)

Has anyone used an alternative energy powder in either sachet or soluble tablet form? I use nuun when I don't need energy, but I want carbs! There's some High Five stuff which seems to fit the bill - does anyone know it?
Jul 2012
9:21am, 3 Jul 2012
280 posts
  •  
UltraPaulo
I have used the SIS PSP 22 powder. It does the job, tastes fine and comes in sachets. I am sure you can grab it from most places, I think I got mine from either Runners Need or Snow and Rock.
Jul 2012
9:22am, 3 Jul 2012
13,371 posts
  •  
hellen
I've used a few diff high5 powders which come in sachets which seem ok to me
Jul 2012
9:36am, 3 Jul 2012
12,234 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I just can't believe that, in this era of budget airlines charging thousands of punds for baggage, and no fluids on planes, that the most widely available energy drink in the UK, while unavailable in Europe, doesn't come in easy-to-transport form.
RM
Jul 2012
11:37am, 3 Jul 2012
9 posts
  •  
RM
Is Lucozade Sport not available to purchase airside ?

Just racking my brains to try to remember
Jul 2012
11:55am, 3 Jul 2012
8,977 posts
  •  
Pootle
Yeah, I found out that they'd stopped making the Lucozade stuff with caffeine in it about two weeks before the MK Marathon. Hence a mental rush to try and find something suitable.

I ended up buying this, it's cheap and does the job. It tastes marginally better after 15 odd miles that if you try and drink it before doing any excercise!

winstanleysbikes.co.uk
Jul 2012
12:04pm, 3 Jul 2012
8,978 posts
  •  
Pootle
Ahh, I just read your bit about not wanting to transport little baggies of powder in your luggage so my suggestion is out then!
Jul 2012
12:11pm, 3 Jul 2012
19,965 posts
  •  
Frobester
I took several bags of whitish powder (formula for my 6-month old at the time) on a plane to Australia, about 7 years ago. The customs and excise people at the "something to declare" desk were happy we'd owned up but couldn't resist tasting the powder "just in case". I must have naively thought that Australian women all fed their children on breast milk alone.
Jul 2012
12:31pm, 3 Jul 2012
12,236 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Doesn't meet my no baggies criteria, but SiS with caffeine in energy drink form is certainly of interest to me.

I think I might also risk the High5 stuff, after all.

I'm not actually flying imminently, but my lovely son responds very badly to me taking the car away for the weekend, so I'll be travelling to long races via public transport for the foreseeable future, hence needing to travel as lightly as possible. I can stash sachets inside an empty waterbottle. To be honest, I can probably decant a suitable amount of product into a tupperware tub with a dosing device.

It's not quite as convenient, though.
Jul 2012
12:52pm, 3 Jul 2012
8,979 posts
  •  
Pootle
When I was backpacking in Oz I carried laundry detergent around with me in a clear ziplock bag. Customs actually took all my baggage off to be swabbed for "narcotics" because they didn't believe it was what I said it was :-0

Seriously, how much floral smelling cocaine and smack have you ever seen (on the telly box, obviously) with biologicalal blue bits in it?

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Though I believe Amphetamines and Cocaine are banned by the IAAF ;-)

When I last flew abroad for ...