Energy Bills

1 lurker | 58 watchers
Dec 2022
12:42pm, 5 Dec 2022
3,880 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
If you can put up with a corded chainsaw, Screwfix do an excellent one for about 50 quid.
Dec 2022
12:43pm, 5 Dec 2022
5,551 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
lammo - I'm not convinced that a battery powered chainsaw is much, if any, safer than a petrol one.

If the chain is sharp enough and powerful enough to cut through logs, then any slippage where it comes into contact with any part of you is not going to end well ( although can be mitigated by appropriate safety clothing - kevlar reinforced trousers, steel toe-capped boots, etc ).
Dec 2022
12:44pm, 5 Dec 2022
44,925 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Needed to be cordless Pou Pou. The logs I have to get to are of already fallen trees in our woodland. Half mile from house! That would be a v long extension cable! :-) G
Dec 2022
12:46pm, 5 Dec 2022
44,926 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry Pou Pou, that may have been to lammo.

Agree Gus - I suspect it is a bit smaller, lighter and less powerful than a bigger petrol one. But for equivalent size and power, the risk is going to be the same, surely.

If I dropped it on my foot, or leg, it would still go through jeans or welly boot. I have steel toe capped boots, but wasn't wearing them. And I'm not using kevlar trousers, which I prob should. And even gloves are just rubberised garden, not going to stop anything.

:-) G
Dec 2022
12:48pm, 5 Dec 2022
3,881 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
I think all chainsaws are equally (not) safe..

But kept safer by being maintained and used properly.
Dec 2022
1:15pm, 5 Dec 2022
11,710 posts
  •  
lammo
Thanks all.

I borrowed an electric chain saw once and as soon as you released the trigger the chain stopped, which it doesn't on my petrol job, which seemed safer, and may only cut half way through my leg rather than all the way.

I've got a number of Stihl battery operated implements and thought i might look at their chainsaws if they use the same batter.

I've got and read this book, quite interesting

amazon.co.uk
Dec 2022
1:16pm, 5 Dec 2022
11,711 posts
  •  
lammo
Sorry, it's called Norwegian Wood - Chopping, stacking and drying wood the Scandinavian way by Lars Mytting
Dec 2022
1:31pm, 5 Dec 2022
44,927 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
My friends in Norway would laugh at my baby chainsaw. They chopped down hundreds of huge (metre thick trunks?) trees one summer, and their wood burning fireplace is 4 times the size of any fireplace I've ever seen before! Their log store is the size of my garage! Right, off to do some more! :-) G
Dec 2022
2:39pm, 5 Dec 2022
7,761 posts
  •  
Fields
For a chainsaw you really need the proper PPE, chainsaw boots and gloves.
Dec 2022
4:49pm, 5 Dec 2022
96,264 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I recommend Norwegian Wood.
A good electric (battery) chainsaw weighs the same as a petrol one and is just as dangerous! With the saw, get yourself basic safety gear: helmet with vizor and ear defenders, gloves, boots, trousers.
You can get away without a jacket and chaps in stead of trousers for occasional use. Biggest occurrence is saw in foot or lower leg!
Some instruction goes a long way to being safe with one!
Advantage of battery:
It is quiet! No need for ear muffs.
Starts with the push of a button.
Handy if you have a b#ggered shoulder 😎

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
We’ve had word from our energy company that our direct debit from April onwards will be double the current amount. How’s everyone else fared?