Energy Bills

1 lurker | 58 watchers
Jul 2022
9:51am, 28 Jul 2022
34,381 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
we're fixed until october so get all the increases in one!
Think I will get some more jumpers!

Fetch maybe you should do some more fleeces haha
Jul 2022
10:03am, 28 Jul 2022
1,533 posts
  •  
paulcook
Shell also posting record profits today with two-thirds of it (£6.5B) going to shareholders

theguardian.com
Jul 2022
10:04am, 28 Jul 2022
11,398 posts
  •  
lammo
Good for pension holders
Jul 2022
12:50pm, 28 Jul 2022
23,236 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Like fetch I am now about £800 in credit but will submit meter readings at the weekend and be down to about £600...I figure having credit for the winter is a good idea
Jul 2022
1:09pm, 28 Jul 2022
17,758 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
OK. Just to flag it up (not making any particular statements), but the companies who are making the big profits are the upstream companies (and bits of companies, i.e. Centrica) that do the production of FF. It's not the actual wholesale retailers (i.e the British Gas part of Centrica, Scottish Power, SSE, nPower etc).
Jul 2022
1:10pm, 28 Jul 2022
11,400 posts
  •  
lammo
indeed, unlike fetch i am 700 in debt, so hoping the 470 per month we've been paying for 4/5 months is getting us back to parity in time to build a little cushion for the winter.

Riveting update to follow next week :-)
Jul 2022
4:45pm, 28 Jul 2022
4,556 posts
  •  
kstuart
Exxon, Chevron, Shell, TotalEnergies and BP expected to post a combined $50bn profit for 2Q, their highest ever.

Saw that yesterday. Obscene numbers.

Also tried seeing how mine was looking with BG yesterday nope not letting you into that bit.
Jul 2022
4:56pm, 28 Jul 2022
43,115 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Fortunately with a smart meter for electricity, there are no meter readings to submit. It's also fun/instructive to see your real time electricity usage and to have reports of half hourly usage in arrears.

Our oil is a tank, so it's zero for 8 months, then you can see the actual litres going in when the truck delivers, so pretty obvious what you've used and are billed for.

I wouldn't like to be in the world of building up debt (or credit) for energy that I may or may not have used based on estimates, especially where the numbers are pretty big like they are now. Could be quite a big shock later for some people. :-) G
Jul 2022
4:58pm, 28 Jul 2022
17,767 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I've never paid for my bills that way - always pay for useage at the end of the quarter by direct debit.

I understand the logic of smoothing the payments, but I know there's a big bill coming in March every year and just spend accordingly.

Think I'm going to increase the loft insulation in the roof before the autumn and the heating gets switched on. Might consider getting a couple of windows replaced too - a couple of them are a bit leaky.
Jul 2022
6:23pm, 28 Jul 2022
23,237 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I normally wouldn’t build up a big balance either way. However given the current position I am happy to do so knowing I will appreciate that come winter.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
We’ve had word from our energy company that our direct debit from April onwards will be double the current amount. How’s everyone else fared?